Chapter 1

THE KING'S LOST SWORD
C H A P T E R1 |
A C T1

"Are you ready?" Nathan asked his younger sister. The two stood in the front yard of their small, rundown country home, dressed in fitted clothes with wooden swords strapped across their waists.

Adira nodded her head, her feet placed evenly apart under her shoulders. She pulled the dull wooden sword from the leather scabbard and held it out in front of her, shaking slightly. Adira didn't know why she needed to learn how to fight, she couldn't wrap her mind around when this would ever be useful. But her family told her she would need this knowledge, and she trusted them. So she bent her knees and positioned herself into a fighting stance before saying: "Yes, I'm ready."

| |

Adira Marsh sighed, her eyes closed, as she recalled the memory of her brother tackling her younger self. She hadn't had a good grip on her sword and when her brother attacked, it flew from her little hand and brought her attention with it. Adira gripped her brown hair with a hand as she recalled her brother pushing the dull sword into her pale neck. Adira recalled how her brother got up off the floor and offered a hand to his little sister. How he pulled her onto her feet, dusted off her pants, and handed little Adira one of the training swords.

She remembered how that was one of the last times she'd spend time with him.

"And do you use what your brother taught you?" Dr. Xander asked, his voice light.

The doctor's voice broke Adira out of her trance, "What?"

"I asked if you still fight?"

A spark ignited in Adira's dark blue eyes, and her lips twisted upward into a grin. "Would you like to see?" She asked, a hint of sarcasm coating her words.

"Excuse me?" Adira slowly moved from the ugly vomit green couch she sat upon and prowled toward the phycologist. Dr. Xander stilled as his patient sat on his lap, a leg on either side of him. "This is inappropriate behavior, Miss!" He exclaimed

Adira smirked as she loosened a dagger from its spot under her sleeve. It slid down her arm and she grabbed the hilt as it hit her palm, angling the tip of the blade at the doctor's neck. "I know," she whispered in the man's ear, a gasp escaped his mouth as the blade cut his skin. Adira felt blood drip onto her hand the further she cut into Dr. Xander's neck.

As she leaned back and climbed off his lap, the doctor's eyes rolled back into his head. Adira wiped the blood off on her black leather pants and crossed the room toward a large painting of a bowl of fruit. It had been painfully obvious to Adira that the picture was hiding something when she had entered the office for the first time, and it had only taken till the end of the session for her to realize that his safe was the object being concealed.

It had been hard for Adira to get into the psychologist's office in a timely manner. First, she simply tried to book an appointment but the damn doctor had a wait-list of five months, so after hours of planning and testing scenarios, Adira finally found and tried the winner. She trailed him to a local shopping market and watched him put items in a metal cart. Then when he was leaving the aisle, Adira quite literally ran into him and sent her basket full of random items flying across the shop's floor.

The carton of milk Adira had thrown in there, busted open and its contents wet the floor. Sheepishly, Adira glanced up from the mess, and right as she met Dr. Xander's eyes, she started to cry. If Adira wasn't an assassin, she would have made a damn good actress. For just as she began to frantically dig through a purse strapped over her shoulder, she apologized profusely, and as she had hoped: Xander touched her hand with concern and said that it was okay. He bought her groceries and walked Adira to her car; and after Xander helped the frantic girl pack the bagged groceries into the back of a red truck, he offered her an appointment for his office.