11

In class, they were handed back their tests and Malia waved hers around excitedly. "Lydia? Lydia. Did you hear me? Look. I passed."

"'C-minus'," Lydia said.

"Your notes are great when they're not written in code."

Tessa's test was handed back and she saw a 'A-minus'. Another test was placed on Malia's desk . It was an 'F'. Coach frowned at her. "Disappointed, Malia. Profoundly disappointed."

Lydia pursed her lips a moment. "I'll send you my notes."

Kira looked between them. "It's over. The computers are off. No more assassins. No more murders. No one's dying."

"Not yet," Lydia whispered.

They shared a silent look, knowing that someone was going to die.

School ended and Tessa made her way back to her aunt's house.

She had a ton of homework to do, and she wanted to get it done as soon as possible, because who knew when the next supernatural crisis would occur. Sure she was on a deadpool for supernatural creatures, but homework was important, too.

As she did her homework, she found her thoughts drifting.

A certain spastic boy crossed her mind and she tried brushing his goofy smile away to no avail.

Scott popped his head into her room. "You're smiling like an idiot. Something good happen?"

Tessa shook her head and her smile dropped. "No, nothing. Where are you off to?"

"I have a date. With Kira."

"Enjoy, and don't get in too much trouble."

"I don't get in trouble."

"Mmm, I beg to differ. But seriously, have fun."

The next day at school, as soon as they arrived, Liam and Stiles grabbed Tessa's arms.

She pulled away and glared at them. "What?"

Liam met her eyes. "Have you heard from Scott today?"

Stiles nodded. "Everything's fine. I got a text from him this morning and he said he might be a little late."

"Well, how late is late? Is he always late?"

Trying to calm Liam down, Tessa said, "He's a stickler about time. Sometimes fails, but he tries. You're playing Devenford Prep, right?"

Liam nodded. "This time, it's an actual game."

"Well, I'm sure you can beat their little prep school asses."

Stiles frowned at her. "Tessa, be nice."

Liam grew more and more worried by the minute. "He shouldn't be late."

"Who shouldn't be late?" Coach asked as he passed them.

Tessa gave him a small smile. "Scott and Kira are going to be slightly late."

Coach narrowed his eyes at them. "Slightly... Slightly is still late. What are they doing?"

"They're doing something that's going to make them late," Stiles answered.

"What could Scott and Kira be doing right now that's more important than playing in the first game?"

Their expressions became pained as Stiles shook his head. "Oh, Coach."

Stiles opened his mouth to say something else and Tessa kicked his shin, causing him to glare at her. "Scott wouldn't miss the first game. He'll be here. Trust me."