chapter 6

as we all made our way back to our rooms, i immediately plopped on the bed. i wished i could of just stayed that way forever.

but i slowly made my way to shower since i was all sweaty from practice. as i finished i made my way over to the phone. i decided to make a call to my brother and sister.

they immediately picked up. we at least talked for thirty minutes about everything, until i slowly began to doze off.

"well, you sound exhausted. go to bed mymy. talk to you soon." and with that jacob had hung up the phone. i set the phone down as well.

i rolled over and shut off the lamp and covered up with the soft sheets and blankets. i fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.

practice was early the next morning. i trudged my way over to the locker rooms. even though i had gotten good rest, i was still tired.

the first thing coach had us do was tie us up in one big group. it was very uncomfortable to say the least.

"somebody better watch their hands." julie said aloud. though i couldn't see her since i was on the other side.

then there was a strong stench, making it smell like rotten eggs. everyone yelled in unison, "goldberg!" he immediately defended himself.

"it wasn't me." he said clearly annoyed. "no, it was me." dean said as if he was proud of what he had done. i rolled my eyes.

"i don't know how to make this any clearer. you are a team. and to win this thing, you have to work as one. and now as one, skate." coach said aloud as he made his way around us.

we all scrambled, everyone trying to go their own way. that ended up in everyone falling on top of each other.

i looked up to see averman on top of me. "oh hey! it's the tripper!" he said. i annoyingly pushed him off. we all got back up.

"alright all of you move to your right, now." dean demanded. "who made you boss? everyone move to their left. as though everyone went their own way again, we all fell.

this time i was on top of dean. my cheeks were flushed, but i immediately stood up, not wanting to make anything more awkward.

but soon after more and more attempts, we were all able to skate as one. as coach unwrapped us, we all split apart. but soon he made us take a knee.

"you guys are starting to look like hockey players. i'm proud of you team, you worked hard today. but hockey can also be fun. rancher dwayne, round me up some stray cattle." coach said as he tossed him a rope.

we all skated off in our own ways. the first one out was averman, though i wasn't surprised. i made my way close to dwayne but tricked him out as i skated down the rink as fast as i could.

"i'll be getting you miss lady!" he yelled out after me. i laughed at his remark. though he wasn't wrong after getting out julie, guy, and adam, he finally got me.

i made my way to the bench, heavily breathing. i took a seat next to averman and had a swig of water. "start over?" he asked me as he held out his hand.

"sure." i said as i was abut to shake his hand but immediately squirted him with my water bottle. "very funny mymy." he said annoyed as he wiped off his glasses.

after dwayne finished rounding up the remaining cattle, he even taught us how to line dance. it's a lot harder than you think, that's all i have to say.

we soon finished up practice. mr. tibbles was wanting to meet us out in the lobby saying he had a surprise for us.

we made our way over, taking a seat at the benches. soon, a black covering was ripped off revealing a wheaties box with us on the front. everyone was amazed.

"hey look, it's us!" dwayne announced as he stood next to mr. tibbles. "well, duh." fulton said towards him. he just rolled his eyes.

"today, it's a wheaties box, tomorrow it's video games, action figures, lunch boxes, the sky is the limit. now, just to make sure everyone knows who you are, try on one of these." he told us all as he held up a usa hockey jersey.

everyone ran up getting their jerseys. though out of the corner of my eye, i saw charlie sit there with a frown on his face. i decided to ignore it and make my way back to where i was sitting.

a smile was plastered on my face. i was happy where i was now. for all the friends i had already made, even though we've barely been here a week, and the great team that was already forming.

i sure was excited for what was to come but then i asked myself, what was going to come?