chapter 24

gunnar was iceland's final shooter. well, of course it was going to be, he was their top player on the team. he was known for his shooting skills.

coach bombay had sent out julie for the final shot. goldberg had come back to the bench and we all hugged him as he walked past us.

julie tapped each post with her stick and held up her glove. everyone and myself knew that she was ready for this.

gunnar started his way down the ice, slowly. he made his steps and stopped. he wound up to take his shot and hit it as hard as he could.

the whole rink had become quiet as julie fell down. you could hear a pin drop in the whole building as everyone waited for her.

she slowly stood up to her feet. as she opened her glove, there sat the puck. the crowd had gone insane. people were throwing themselves on top of each other.

we all skated onto the ice and threw off our helmets and our gloves into the air. we all engulfed julie in one big hug.

we had gone in line to shake their hands. luckily, none of them had knocked our heads off. i was quite happy about that.

i had noticed gunnar and charlie spoke a few words to each other before they skated off. charlie had come over where the rest of us stood.

charlie ran around with a flag in his hands as the crowd cheered for us all. he soon handed it off to averman, who nearly dropped it of course.

we had a huge group hug with coach bombay and ms. mckay. everyone wore a huge smile on their face as we each went around hugging one another.

as i came to coach bombay, i jumped on top of him, nearly making him fall over. "we couldn't have done it without you, coach." he softly patted me on the back.

after receiving our rewards, talking with the press, and some of us doing small interviews, we had finally made it back to our rooms.

we had the rest of today and until about noon tomorrow until we all had to go back home. tonight we planned a bonfire and tomorrow was our free day.

though just as i was about to lay in bed, there was a knock on my door. i opened the door and saw my brother, sister, and best friends standing their.

my brother held a bouquet of flowers in his hands which brought a smile to my face. i invited everyone inside of the small room and shut the door behind them.

"mymy that was a great game. i never knew that a hockey game would make me nearly pass out." everyone laughed aloud at honesty's words as she spoke.

we had talked for nearly two hours, just about the game. but soon, i realized i had to start getting ready for the bonfire.

"well, we have to head on our flight here in a little while anyways. we will see you when you get back," davier said as he softly hugged the girl.

they each said their goodbyes before my brother and i stood alone in the room. "jenny told me about the whole hockey thing."

a small smile arose onto his face. he slung his arms around my shoulders and hugged me. we stayed like that for minutes. even a few tears had slipped from my eyes.

"it's all because of you," he told me as he pulled away from the hug. "well, i'm just happy you're deciding to do it again. i know how happy you were when you played."

we spoke for a few more minutes before he left. i had changed out of my comfortable clothes into a pair of jean shorts and a random band tee.

my hair was left down, naturally, and finally i tied up my converse. i turned off the lights before exiting my room.

just as i was locking my door, i felt a small tap on my shoulder. i spun around to be met with dean. a small smile was etched on his face that i would never get sick of.

"ready for the bonfire, madam?" he jokingly asked as he held out his hand for me. an airy chuckle fell from my lips before i took his hand in mine.

"glady, almighty sir." i could see a small tint of pink had appeared on his cheeks. we walked hand in hand, down the stairs, and to where the bonfire was being held.

as we walked through the busy city, i realized right then and there i was truly happy. not only because of the cute boy who stood next to me, but because i was doing what i loved most.