chapter 23

i quickly glanced behind me, once again seeing my best friends and brother and sister. they had the same look on their face as mine, worry.

i turned my attention back towards the game and watched as they all skated on the ice. dean had the puck in hand and skated around our net.

he easily passed it off to adam who immediately picked up his speed and was making his way towards their net. everyone slowly began to rise to their feet.

adam dropped it back to dwayne. "nw, cowboy!" charlie yelled out towards the boy. he flicked the puck up into the air, everyone's eyes following it.

adam skated towards it and just as he was pushed down, the puck hopped into the back of the net. we all jumped and cheered in excitement. the crowd was going wild to say the least.

as we had all learned iceland's big thing was hitting, we began dodging them. some guy who had to be nearly six feet tall came charging towards me as i had the puck.

all i did was simply duck down which made him go head first into the boards. i chuckled quietly to myself as i watched it happen.

but still, we'd get flipped over or tripped every now and then. though we immediately got back on our feet and was i the game again.

luis was suddenly on a breakaway. he was in the iceland zone and none of their defensemen could catch up.

he stopped just before slamming into the goalie. "i stopped!" he cheered for himself. we all began yelling at the boy. "put it in, luis!"

everyone on the ice, including myself, skated over to him and jumped on top of him. "nice stopping," i commented towards him.

"hey, what about the goal?" i laughed at his words before skating off to the bench. russ had taken my spot. we needed his magic right here and right now.

there were only two minutes left on the clock. we needed one more goal to tie it with iceland and another to win the game.

as russ stepped on the ice, all the iceland players flew towards him. they had cornered him against the boards. the ref soon blew his whistle and they all skated away.

coach bombay had called for a timeout. everyone surrounded around coach and waited for him to begin talking. he had a new game plan for us.

guy had handed it off to luis. he made a quick turn around the net and handed it off to our goalie. though, it wasn't goldberg.

he skated up towards center ice and threw off his helmet, revealing russ. i jumped to my feet, realizing this plan just might work.

he took averman's stick as he set up for his famous shot, the knuclepuck. he reeled back and hit the puck which went flying into the back of the net. the score was tied.

we all jumped on top of each other. "i can't believe it worked!" i exclaimed to charlie as he hugged me. "me either."

after, we all ran onto the ice and formed one big group hug. i couldn't hear a thing anyone said from how loud we were and how loud the crowd was.

now it was time for the shootout.

jesse was the first one to take a shot. he slowly made his way down, but as soon as he got close to the net, he easily shot it between the goalies legs.

one down, four more to go.

it was now iceland's turn. sadly, they had made a backhand shot on goldberg. we all groaned in frustration.

guy was up next. he easily foled their goalie; thinking he was going right, but at the last second went right and shot it behind him.

two down, three more to go.

iceland was coming towards goldberg. the player had taken a wrist shot from afar and goldberg caught it in his glove.

dwayne was going down the ice. he was showing off his puck handling skills which impressed everyone. though the goalie kept his eye on the puck and caught it as dwayne shot it.

the next iceland player was coming along. he quickly skated towards goldberg and took a hard slap shot. it zipped right past his glove and hit the back of the net.

it was even for both teams at this point.

fulton had skated on, getting himself ready to shoot. though he didn't even skate up to the goalie as he had taken his shot from the red line and made it in.

just as goldberg was going to block the shot with his stick, it slid right past and went to the back of the net.

it was once again tied for both teams. though this was the last shooter.

banks looked towards his wrist and then towards the bench. a small smile was etched onto his face which made all of us smile.

he made his way down towards the net. he was going left and right with the puck, seeming to make the goalie a little dizzy. as he shot, it bounced off the goalies leg and went into the net.

"woo hoo!" dean cheered next to me as he had picked me up off the ground. i hugged him tightly, being so happy for where i was.