sixty eight

'elizabeth' someone shook me, pulling me out of sleep. i opened my eyes, to see lily about an inch away from my face, staring at me. 'get up. we need to go' she sniffed.
'why?' i mumbled blearily, rubbing my eyes. then it clicked. 'where's emma? is she okay?'.
'emma's fine' lily told me 'i promise. i'll explain in the car, just come on'. i got up, walking over to my draw and starting to rifle through it for clothes. my head was worse than i thought, normally a comedown would be almost over by the time i woke up. i could feel a kind of whirring in my head, almost like somebody else's brain was working alongside mine. 'there's no time' lily snapped 'we have to go now'.

she grabbed my hand, pulling me out of the dorm and down the stairs, out the same back door that we had led the search parties out of. it was still dark outside, the inky black sky scattered with speckled white stars. i followed her all the way down to the end of the drive, the only noise the gravel crunching beneath our feet as we walked. i wanted to ask her questions, but she was breathing heavily as we walked, as if she was almost on the verge of a panic attack, so i thought better. i trusted her. she must have had a reason.

there was a car waiting for us at the end of the drive and we piled into the back, it was too dark to see what kind of car it was or even the colour, but i wasn't particularly bothered. the driver in the front seat barely acknowledged us and there was a screen in between us, but it wasn't exactly unusual for lily to have a driver.

i stared silently out the window, watching the darkness blur past. 'so' lily said eventually 'emma'.
'she's okay' i said immediately, almost without thinking. 'wait, how do i know that? i can almost, sense her?'. i was talking more to myself than anything, but lily smiled like she'd just won the lottery, reaching into the compartment next to her and pulling out a stack of papers in brown casing. 'my file' i breathed 'you stole it? why?'. she dropped it on the chair beside me 'you're shadow kissed now. you and emma. you brought her back from the dead, just as i suspected you might'.

the car pulled over and she gave me an apologetic glance as the driver got out, coming round to my side and opening my car door. then everything went black.