Chapter One: The Camp

Opal's P.O.V. 

Sunlight barely came in through the thick trees and into the nursery. I open my eyes and look around. My mom, Mercy, wasn't anywhere to be seen. In fact, the den was empty. Did I wake up late? I thought. 

I was only three moons old at the time, almost four. My dad, Ever, said once I turned four, I'd be able to explore outside Dark Clan's territory. When I turned six, I'd be able to begin my training and leave the camp territory. Ever was a Mightyena, unlike Mom, who was an Absol, but he was the deputy.

I stood up and stretched, yawning. Then I remembered. Tonight was the Moonlight Gathering. Of course it was going to be busy. The day of it always was. 

The Moonlight Gathering was when all eight clan leaders came together in a secret place called the Moonlight Grotto. It happened every full moon. The Pokemon of the clans thought that this time was the time to check in our things. Gather food more than normal days, train more, explore more, make sure everything and one is in order. That's why it was empty. 

I walked out of the den, stumbling at first like I always did in the morning. I looked around the camp. It was decently large. The tall, dark oaks blocked out most light. There was a cave in the distance. The camp was outlined with stone dens.

One was the nursery, for Pokemon expecting infants or nursing one. The second was the medical den, where the Healer Pokemon slept and tended to the clan. Next was the apprentice's den, where Pokemon in training slept. Then the Battler's den, where fully trained Pokemon stayed. Finally, the leader's den, where our leader, Karma the Umbreon, slept. 

I looked around at the camp. Only a few Pokemon were still here. There was a Honchkrow keeping guard, two Purrloins grooming one another, a Houndoon putting some Oran Berries in the pile, and a Zorua. I recognized the Zorua as Shadow.

Shadow was another Pokemon in the nursery. His mom, Willow, was Mercy's close friend, so instantly, we became friends, too. Only, he was a moon older than me. He had dark gray fur with black and red highlights, and blue eyes. Once he saw me, he smiled, then trotted over. 

"Hey Opal," he said. 

"Hi." I said, smiling. "Did I get up late?"

"No, you're up at your normal time. Everyone just left super early because of the Moonlight Gathering. Your mom and my mom left with a few other Pokemon to get berries."

I nodded. "So, what do you want to do?"

"I don't know. Wanna explore?"

"But, I'm not old enough."

"You're almost old enough. You might as well get to know your way around now!"

I nodded hesitantly. "Okay." I said.

Shadow grinned, and we left the camp to explore. I still had a bad feeling about it, though.