din djarin | wonder

this was requested by sondercoyfish and it contains no spoilers whatsoever :-) and this is my very first time writing for mando sooo i'm pretty excited!! i hope y'all like it <3

/ / / 

In all of the months you'd been traveling with Mando aboard the Razor Crest, you'd never once granted yourself the ability to wonder. There was no wondering about the name he had been born with, no wondering about the face that was hidden away. Wondering would lead you straight to a dead end. You could never know either of those things. Everything personal about Mando... it wasn't yours to know.

His creed was the single most important thing to him ever, even more so than the kid and you were. Which was perfectly fine with you. This was his religion. This was everything that he was and you cared about him too much to start to wonder---

Unfortunately for you, caring about him was a danger in itself. You cared about him. You cared about him and therefore you wondered about that face you couldn't see. What did he look like? Were his eyes brown or hazel? Maybe even blue. No, you pictured them as brown. You wondered about his name. Was it short? Was he named after someone? Did he have a middle name? Maybe he didn't even have a last name. And because of your feelings for him, you were left to wonder some more, and then you'd throw yourself back into the loop of reminders that no, you absolutely cannot wonder about any of those things, because you will never have the ability to know these things, so you'd better just stop right where you are and---

"Hey." His sharp voice made you jump out of your thoughts. Your eyes flickered over to the shine of the silver helmet that was staring right at you. "Did you hear a single word I said?" 

"No," you admitted, shifting uncomfortably in the seat you had been in for far too long. "I was thinking." 

He sighed softly and turned back to face the panel of controls. "I said, the kid wants you." 

"Oh," you said. And just like that, your thoughts weren't the most important thing to you anymore. It was the small little cooing green thing that was slipping off of Mando's lap and coming towards you, arms out and hands grabbing. "Hey, little thing." You picked him up under his small arms and brought him up onto your lap. He grabbed your hand right away; his hands could barely close around a single finger of yours. He chewed on your hand, right on your knuckle. "You think this kid is still teething?" 

"I doubt it. It's fifty years old. But then again, who knows," Mando said. "But he's devoured entire frogs in a single bite, so I'd watch it if I were you." 

"You wouldn't bite my hand off, would you, little guy?" you asked the baby, who blinked up at you with large brown eyes. You glanced back up at the back of Mando's helmet. "No, he wouldn't, Mando. He says I'm his favorite." 

"The kid doesn't even talk yet," he replied. 

"It's all in the eyes." You moved your free hand to the top of the baby's head and stroked his ears. "Isn't that right, baby?" He cooed in response. "That's right. I know I'm your favorite."

You could've sworn Mando snorted. "You'd might want to go put the kid to bed and get some rest for yourself," Mando said. "I'll take first watch."

You stared up at him with furrowed eyebrows; you were pretty sure it was your turn to take first watch and pilot the ship. "Are you sure? When was the last time you slept?" 

"I'm sure," was all he said. "Go on, I'll wake you up if anything happens." 

"Okay," you said. You frowned and looked down at the baby. He blinked up at you sleepily and you knew you shouldn't fight Mando on this one. "You can wake me up if you're tired, Mando." You stood up and cradled the baby close to your chest. The door slid open and you left the cockpit quietly.