din djarin | our son

just a quick little drabble i came up with to celebrate mother's day <3; 1.6k+ words

/ / /

"You're too overprotective."

The sentence slipped out without him thinking. He really didn't mean to say it, but he did. You had just taken the Child from him after he attempted again to have Grogu attach the wires with their correct colors in the wall of the Razor Crest. He knew you wouldn't like it, but the ship was practically falling apart at the seams and he needed it to be fixed quickly. He couldn't keep the ship in this forest forever. The planet seemed vacant, but who knew what was lurking in the shadows.

He wanted to argue that you'd already taught Grogu his colors so this really wouldn't be that much of a challenge for him now, but his aggravation made him snap just a little bit harsher.

As the words left his lips, altered by the modulator on his helmet, you turned ever-so-slowly, eyebrows raising as you looked straight at the visor of the Mandalorian's helmet. "I'm overprotective?"

Although he felt like winning this fight wouldn't be possible for him, he stood his ground. "Yes."

You scoffed. "Really, Din? I'm the protective one?"

"Yes. You won't even let the kid help me!" '

"He's a baby," you reminded him, "and last time I let you use him, what happened?"

He sighed. "He was fine---"

You placed one hand on your hip. Grogu was against your other one, holding onto your fist in fistfuls. He was looking at Din in a way that made him think he probably wasn't going to take his side. Figures, Din thought. Grogu definitely favored you. "What happened, Din?"

"He got shocked. But---"

"He got shocked!" you repeated. "Isn't that enough to not want him near those wires again? He's a smart kid, Din, but he's still a baby. I know you expect a lot out of him and that's really good, but please think rationally about this. It's our job to protect him."

"I do protect him. I wouldn't let anything happen to him."

"Okay," you said, "then please don't put our kid in a position where he could be electrocuted. Okay?"

Grogu babbled, almost like he was saying "I told you so" to Din. He probably was. He took your side no matter what. Din sighed.

You grinned. "Dinner's almost done. You hungry?"

"I guess."

"I'll make you a plate then," you said. With the kid on your hip, you turned away and left the room.

Later that night, when dinner was finished and you were cleaning up the baby, Din was seated back on a crate, lifting his helmet periodically to sip his tea. You made sure neither you nor Grogu would be able to see, ensuring his privacy. Grogu giggled loudly from your lap where you poked lightly at his sides, tickling him until his eyes squeezed shut and he grabbed your fingers with the entirety of his hands.

"You're so silly, baby," you said, nuzzling your face against his.

Din turned his head back to look at the two of you. He watched you lift the kid in the air, your face pressed against his cheek, pressing a kiss there. The kid wrapped his arms around your head, gripped your hair in his hands, and laughed gleefully as you kissed him again and again on the cheek.

His heart warmed; there was something so amazing about how you'd adapted to raising the kid. You did it without a second thought. He needed parents, and you knew that you and Din could be those for him. You were so selfless, giving up the life you knew to take care of a kid that wasn't yours. You treated him like he was. If it wasn't for the fact that the kid looked so different, some might expect that he was really yours.