Chapter 11

Clove slid into her seat, brushing a piece of hair from her forehead and tucking it behind her ear. She let out a small sigh, letting her eyes fall on the clock in the corner of the room. It was the last class she had that day, and Clove was desperate to go home. She had loads of homework that she wanted to get done so she could take a much needed nap. 

Madge took a seat next to her and smiled. "Did you hear?" Madge asked the black haired girl, giggling. "There are rumors buzzing around that we're talking about Romeo and Juliet today? Isn't that exciting?" Madge burst into a small fit of giggles, taking a gel pen out from her pencil case. 

Clove smirked, puling out a book from her backpack. "I started it, finished it, and adored it," she stated, waving her copy of the play in the air. Madge reached over and playfully punched her in the shoulder, earning a stern look from Clove. "You sappy girl, you!" the blonde exclaimed. "It's not like you to go for a love story and like it." 

"What can I say?" Clove shrugged, setting the book down on her desk. "I was excited to get my hands on it. And I've seen the movie adaptations. I mean, Olivia Hussey could not have done better as Juliet. Or Haliee Steinfeld. Both were magnificent. I don't know which version I like better." 

The door swung open and in walked a flustered Cato, who's eyes flitted all over the room. "I'm not late, am I?" he asked over a few students chuckles. "Nope," Clove responded, to which he gave a grin. 

Cato took the only available seat, which happened to be right behind Clove. He was just in time, too. Because not even thirty seconds later, the bell rang, signalling the start of class. Ms. Trinket waltzed into the room, heals clacking on the tiled floor. 

"Good afternoon, class," she greeted, and strolled up to the whiteboard. "Today..." she drawled as she began to scribble something on the board. "We are going to begin to discuss a popular classic, which all of you should've read." She stepped away from the board and gestured to it with her hand. "Romeo and Juliet." 

Ms. Trinket smiled. "Now, I give you all permission to throw your ideas out in the open. I'm not holding you back, by any means. Gale, start us off, please." 

Gale shrugged as the whole class turned toward him. "I think it was kind of stupid," he admitted. "I mean, come on. There is no way that you could fall in love that quick. Don't you need to get to know the person first before you can even think about kissing them, let alone marrying them?" 

Ms. Trinket nodded in approval. "Good, Gale, very good. Anyone want to add to what Mr. Hawthorne just said?" 

Madge rose her hand in the air, and then spoke. "I for one, think it's lovely. Love at first sight is so cute, But my question is, why would they go against their parents like that? Isn't that what we're told not to do? I mean, our parents are the people who love us and take care of us and know what's best for us." 

"I agree with Madge," Johanna piped up. "Why would you throw a perfectly good life away for a boy?" 

Clove played with her hands in her lap. She debated on whether or not she should speak up and let everyone know how she perceived things. 

"I think they were too rash, too quick," said Jackie, and then added, "They took things way too far, in my opinion. Sure, they claimed they loved each other, but why would you kill yourself? Suicide is just a way to send you to Hell." 

Cato hesitantly rose his hand, and their teacher gave him a nod. "Well," he started out with. Clove turned around so she could hear more of what he was about to say. "I don't think Shakespeare wrote the play to have two characters that you say are bound to Hell. Not to sound rude, but I don't think anyone in this classroom has the slightest idea to truly dive into text. I mean, you guys are asking some pretty stupid questions."

"We are not!" Johanna gasped. "How is questioning the acts of these characters, and considering them as sinner stupid? The whole live affair was stupid. Who agrees with me?" Every single stupid in that room rose their hands high in the air along with Johanna, and caused Cato to sigh. Well, all except one.  

"Clove?" Madge whispered. "I agree with Cato," Clove finally spoke. "First off, Romeo and Juliet's families shouldn't have dragged them into their feud. It was none of the kid's business. Shakespeare really captures the sense of innocence between the two characters, and how two people feel when they are told to hate one another, but cannot.

"Romeo and Juliet where in love, quick as it may have happened. But come on people, let's be realistic here. Do you really want to sit through a play hours upon hours long to see the relationship develop? No. People want to see the fallout, the consequences to these violent passions. 

"It's a tragedy for a reason. They were in love, and they died. Romeo and Juliet killed themselves for the very reason that they were sick and tired of being how to feel, how to live. Juliet didn't want to be forced into marriage or love, she wanted that choice for herself. She did love her parents, she respected them. But her parents didn't show her that respect." 

"Agreed," Cato sent her a thumbs up. "Clove's one hundred percent right. Same goes for Romeo. He didn't want to live his life full of sorrow. He already killed a man, now he has to live with the death of his wife? And then the fact that she was pledged to another? That everything could look upon his love but he could not? True love at it's finest." 

Clove was stunned. She never expected Cato to be so passionate about this. She never excepted him to speak that way. 

Everyone stared. Everyone was silent. "Cato, Clove," Ms. Trinket broke the silence. "If the two of you believe so strongly in your agreement, then the both of you are both offered right here, right now, the roles of Romeo and Juliet in the school play. And if you audition, the part is automatically yours. No exceptions. Both of you will be receiving an a plus for this whole unit." 

***

Started the first Harry Potter book. Loving it. 

I am so excited to read Romeo and Juliet in high school. I've seen both the Olivia Hussey and Haliee Steinfeld films, and I love both of them so much. The Haliee Steinfeld version is on Netflix, so if you haven't yet, you should check it out.