Chapter 14

Cato stood with his back to the building behind him, cigarette hanging loosely from his hand. He let out a sigh, eyes staring out into the parking lot, completely bored out of his mind. Much to his mother's dismay, the boy refused to step one foot inside of the church. He claimed that he hated the idea of being unwelcome in an environment that was out of his comfort zone. Cynthia tried to persuade him to just give it a chance, but in the grand scheme of things, Cato was not going to give in. 

So, there he stood, in the early hour of the morning, smoking. He had nothing else better to do with his time. And his mom had made it very clear that he was not to leave the parking lot until mass was over and she was in the car with him. Cato supposed he could've just drove off. He could've went back home and slept, then woke up in time to drive back to the church and act like he was there the whole time. 

But if Mrs. Hadley found out he left...

The front door of the church swinging open took Cato out of his little trance. He brought the cigarette up to his lips, inhaling. He let out a puff of smoke and turned to see who had decided to come outside. Much to the blonde's amazement, it was none other than Clove. Her pony tail swung back and forth at the back of her head as she made her way down the sidewalk and onto the blacktop, walking toward her faimly's car. 

She reached the vehicle and unlocked it using the keys, and reached into the back seat. Cato squinted to see what she was taking out of the car, and couldn't help but roll his eyes to see her tuck a leather bound Bible underneath her arm, closing the car door and locking it up again. 

When she was closer, he decided on calling out to her. "Hey Sevina!" Her head whipped around only to lock eyes with him. The girl let out a chuckle and shook her head disapprovingly. Cato knew that she would find that fact that he smoked very unnerving, but he didn't care what she thought. He got the hunch that she liked him, and no matter how many times she tried to deny it, Cato knew that she was lying. 

"What do you want, Hadley?" Clove responded once she was in a closer distance to him. "I see you're contaminating the air." Cato grinned, taking another puff from the cigarette. "It helps me relax," he admitted, gesturing to the small object in between his fingers. 

"Well, I think it's gross," Clove stated, her nose wrinkling in disgust. "It smells terrible," she let out a cough. Cato settled on changing the subject. "And I can see that the perfect little girl forgot her precious little Bible." He scoffed, folding his arms over his chest. 

"And I can see that mister playboy isn't as tough as he lest on," she retorted. "Did Mommy stick big tough Cato in a suit and drag his butt to church?" she mocked, "I thought no one is able to tell you what to do." 

"I felt like being a good son today," came his response. 

"Then why aren't you at mass?" 

"I could say the same to you. Why are you standing out here talking to me when you could be reading passages out of the book in your hands?" 

Clove bit the inside of her cheek, a scowl making its way onto her face. "Well then," she said through gritted teeth. "I guess I'll be going then." Before she could make her way inside, though, Cato reached out and grabbed Clove's arm, yanking her back. 

"What do you want now?" she almost yelled, irritated edge to her tone. Honestly, Cato couldn't give her a good enough answer to her question. Why, you may ask? Well, because he didn't even know why he pulled her back himself. He didn't even realize what he was doing until she was glaring up at him. 

He stared into her brown eyes for a few moments, taking the time to notice the flecks of green and gold in them. Clove's eyes searched his face and when it occurred to her that he wasn't going to say anything, she wretched her arm free from his grip. 

She let out a huff, making her way up to the double doors. "Maybe you should try reading at least one of the scriptures," were her last words to him before she went back inside of the large church. "I think that you might enjoy them." 

When she was completely out of his sight, Cato tossed the cigarette on the ground, smashing it with the sole of his shoe. He laughed at the thought of reading the Bible. 

He would never do it, not even for Clove Sevina. 

***

I feel like I say this all of the time, but sorry for not updating sooner. I just haven't had a lot of time to write, but I am so thankful of all of the support you guys are giving me. It's really touching. 

Willow Shields is going to be on Dancing With The Stars and I almost fell out of my bed this morning when I found that out. 

And have any of you ever watched Dance Academy before? I've been watching it on Netflix and am loving it. I'm a dancer myself (a crappy one), and it's nice to watch a show that could help me with that. I just finished the first season today. 

Can it be Summer already? I cannot express how much I hate the cold weather. Ugh. 

And I'm seriously considering taking down two of my stories: Raven and Uncover. I honestly think my writing has improved since staring those and since finishing Uncover. I think that they aren't my best work. So I don't know if I'm going to take them down, but any opinion on it would be appreciated.