Chapter 19

Clove remembered it all too well.

Cato had lead her into the schools gymnasium, and made her sit down on the bleachers while he went into the janitor's closet in the hall. Clove sat and twiddled her thumbs, teeth clamped down on her bottom lip, eyes darting back and forth.

The blonde boy came back into the room with a ladder. Clove rose her eyebrows at him as he began unzipping one of the duffle bags, pulling out a can of black spray paint.

"And just what do you plan on doing with that?" she questioned. Cato let his lips turn up into a smirk which sent a shiver down Clove's spine. His electrifying blue eyes lit up and Clove swore her heart had skipped a beat.

"I am," he drawled, as he unpacked even more paint out of the bag. "I am showing the powers above who's boss."

She couldn't avert her gaze from him as he strutted over to the ladder, can of paint in hand.

"You cannot be serious right now," Clove gasped, as she got to her feet and went after him. What was he thinking? How could he expect her to just sit there and watch as he vandalized school property?

"Oh, I'm dead serious." He looked at her with a straight face, and Clove found her stomach doing a flip flop. "This is crazy!" She exclaimed. "We could get in big trouble if someone discovered us here right now. And I cannot even fathom the consequences to vandalizing the school."

"I don't think of it as vandalizing," Cato stated bluntly. "Think of it more as being art."

"Art?!" Clove huffed. She could not believe how immature he was. "You're insane! I'm going to go home and tell my father about this. Before you know it, you'll be arrested Hadley! Although, I'm pretty sure you already know what it's like to be behind bars!"

She turned to run, run far away, but something stopped her. His hand shot out and gripped onto her arm. She looked down at his hand and then up at his face. "You don't have to do it with me," his voice dropped down to a whisper. "But don't go. Stay."

His touch shot what felt like an electric shock through her veins. She knew it was wrong, but his strong gaze made it feel so right at the same time. This confused Clove. She has never felt like this before. She had never questioned right from wrong.

It was not even 10 minutes later, when Cato was up on the ladder, shirt over his mouth, and spray paint forming the many poetic words that composed the play Romeo and Juliet, that Clove found herself standing up, gripping onto a red can of spray paint, and joining him.

After what seemed like a short amount of time but in all actuality was a bit over an hour of working side by side in complete silence, except from the sound the paint made when it left the can, the pair decided that they were finished. Clove couldn't believe that she actually went along with Cato's plan.

Words from the play covered the gym walls, and Clove stood back, gazing at them, with her mouth agape. She vandalized school property.

She. Vandalized. School. Property.

"What did we do?" she whispered as the two made their way with the packed up bags back outside.

Cato put the bags in the trunk of his car and then looked over at Clove. She stood with her back to the car, eyes wide and skin as pale as ever. She took long, ragged breaths, and he could see that she was trembling. He had no idea that doing something like what they did would traumatize her.

"Clove, it's okay," he sighed. She shook her head violently. "No it's not," she whispered, eyes staring at her shoes. "We just broke the law. I just borek the law. How could I be so stupid? Why did I do that? I cannot believe I just did that. What would my father say? What happens tomorrow when people see that? I can't go to jail. Oh, I think I'm going to be sick!"

Cato's heart sank. He wanted to prove a point, not mess with Clove's mental state.

She rambles on and on about possible consequences they could face if caught and all the reasons why what they did was morally and ethically wrong. Cato wanted to get her to shut up somehow, to take a minute to actually calm down and breathe, so he did the first thing that came to mind.

He kissed her.

And boy, did he kiss her.

Clove was cut off mid sentence by his lips crashing onto hers, taking them both off guard. As soon as it happened it was over, Cato pulling back with a stunned expression. His eyes went wife and his face went pale. His whole body went stiff and so did hers, both of them afraid to do anything.

"Take me home," Clove finally mumbled. "Just take me home."

And so he did. He took her home, and not another word was spoken.

***

Oh my goodness. It's been awhile.

I feel like I keep apologizing to you guys and making promises I can't keep.

School has made me insanely busy. Like, INSANELY busy. A lot has happened since I last updated. I saw MOCKINGJAY Part 2 and bawled my eyes out, my baby cousin was born, I took finals, I spent the holidays with my family ( during which I received the Harry Potter boxed set as well as attended Jingle Bash, my second concert ever) and 2015 turned into 2016. I just want to say thank you for being so patient and understanding. It means so much to me.

And, by the way, writer's block sucks. It sucks hardcore.

If you guys can check out my new original novel, Rosalind and Felix, I would greatly appreciate it. I spend so much time on it, so it would be nice to see some feedback.

Drop a comment down below. It could be about anything. I just miss talking to you guys, as well as I mis writing. I know I say this all of the time, but I swear I'm trying to get back into my old rhythm with updating. But I make no promises.

Sorry if this was a bad update. I'm a bit rusty seeing as I haven't updated in quite some time. But I still hope you enjoyed it. :)

-Caitlin