56 | All Things Luke

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, it's still early. You two go ahead," Oma agreed, smiling encouragingly at me.

OK, I guess I need to stop running.

**

Luke and I walked down a flight of stairs to a basement floor I didn't know Chad's villa had. We passed by a glass wall that revealed an indoor swimming pool. Another door had the sign "sauna" on it. 

My mouth opened wider with every door we passed by.

"Luke, where are we going?" I finally asked him, "Let's just talk here and get this over with."

I stopped us in a small room with a glass window. It must be a waiting room of some kind, next to a few empty showers. There was also a bench with folded white towels.

"Here?" Luke asked.

"Since when did you get a scuba diving license?" I asked him, while I crossed my arms over my chest.

It's a habit I got from him. He does that from time to time.

"That's how you want to start this?" he asked, unimpressed.

Was that judgement in his voice?

"Maybe you want to start?" I offered, "Because I have no idea what you're thinking. I get the sense you're angry at me, but I don't know what I did."

He sighed, "You blacked out last night?"

"I know what I did. I just don't know what I did to you," I replied, feeling irritated by his assumptions.

"You threw up on me."

Except for that.

"I'm sorry I embarrassed you last night. Trust me, no one is more embarrassed by myself than me. I'm trying and I know you enjoy this untouchable status at school and I bring that down when my actions reflect on you," I said. 

Luke shook his head. "That's a cop out. You got wasted last night to hide from your own insecurities. And I'm going to call you out on that. I'm sorry for not being more aware of your feelings and for not doing more to make you feel included, but you shouldn't drink like that. Be stronger willed."

"Don't talk to me like that," I told him, "I was trying to have fun last night and I made a mistake. I agree I shouldn't drink so much but how is that a crime?"

"It's not a crime. Do you think that it's fun to lose control of your senses in a foreign country? It's irresponsible.  It's not cute to be falling all over the place," he said, "What if we lost you?"

I didn't reply. I really couldn't.

"And I know you drank because you felt insecure. What have I done to make you feel that way?" he asked, "I don't understand why you're doing this after what it did to your mom."

Oof.  I didn't know how to respond, so I came up with a lame excuse.

"I don't know. It didn't help how I was dressed-"

"Who cares how you dress?" he replied, "I hear what you're saying but you don't hear me. Who gives a f*ck what others think? You look amazing in this outfit as you did in your cartoon shirt yesterday."

"It's so easy for you to say."

"I know it is, but I'm telling you that it's something you need to work on. You've given me a lot of hard talks in the time we've known each other, so here's one for you. I care about you. I care about you so f*cking much and I never want to see you hurt or vulnerable like you were last night."

"You were the one who hurt me too, Luke!"

"I made the mistake of leaving you alone too much yesterday. It was our first night out in a group and I didn't think it through. I'm sorry, but can we agree to work on building your confidence? Let me help you work on it. I don't want you to drink through pain."

That left me speechless. Down in the basement of Chad's villa, I had lost track of my words.

"I know it hurts," Luke said, "Trust me, I've been there. But Minnie, you're stronger than me in so many ways. All I'm saying is that I don't think your happiness should be tied to the superficial acceptance of irrelevant people. They're irrelevant."

A/N: I haven't had time to process what I've just written, but what do you think of it? Please vote if you thought this chapter was interesting! I hope it can spark some conversation

Relationships can really take you into areas of yourself you didn't even realize were there.  Trying to dig deep into Millie and Luke's characters to find those parts <3 

Feel free to let me know your thoughts by commenting or DM'ing me on IG (@NatalieInACorner). I try to respond to every message :)

See you soon!

<3 
Natalie