36 | Luke's POV

Original poster design by @TDevilHM!  Creative approach, thank you!

I read the comments on last chapter.  You wanted more of Luke's POV, so here we go....

Chapter 36: Luke's POV

Minnie is not a morning person.

I lived with her this summer and it's one of the first things I learnt. After I got my laptop crushed under her rusty old car. So technically, the second thing I learnt.

Minnie has many moods. And since I'm on zero hours of sleep, I'm here thinking of them.

Before coffee Minnie... Singing in the shower... Flailing in nature... Math Minnie

Every one of those temperaments were frustrating and endearing at the same time. 

I ran a hand through my hair. Why do I keep repeating her name? Maybe I was going insane. That's it. She's turning me crazy.

My half-brother was sitting back in my car, looking like a watermelon, while he waited for me to return.

He can wait.

I twisted the handle and pushed open the door to number 4. 

"Luke Dawson," Mrs Ripley exclaimed as she saw me enter through the unlocked front door.

I'd forgotten to knock.

Minnie's mom had a briefcase in one hand and a coffee cup in the other. She lowered her cup and looked like she was drinking me up instead.

This woman gives me the chills. I've never told Millie. I don't want to interfere in her relationship with her mom.

"Were you heading out?" I asked, holding the door open for her. Encouraging her to exit.

"I was on my way to work but I can be a bit late," Mrs Ripley replied, putting the coffee cup on a ledge by the door.

No coaster. My mom would've freaked.

"I'm here for Millie," I said.

That should really be obvious by now.

"I see," Mrs Ripley remarked, getting settled into a conversation I did not want to have. "You two still dating?"

"Yes."

Last time I checked.

"I can give you some coffee while you wait for her. She's un-stylishly asleep on the couch," Mrs Ripley offered, walking towards the kitchen, "The coffee's freshly brewed."

"I'm alright," I told Mrs Ripley, walking in the opposite direction to the living room. "We're late for school."

She didn't seem too concerned that her daughter was missing school. Didn't Millie have a sister in my year? Florel or whatever her name was. Where was she?

My thoughts evaporated when I saw her.

My Minnie sleeping on the green couch. Her hair formed a little halo around her head. 

She was sprawled over the couch, one leg drooped on its arm and an arm over her stomach. Her face was squished against the fabric and her mouth was open wide, drooling. She was wearing yesterday's clothes, wrinkled now.

I knelt down in front of her and lifted her hair out of her mouth. "Minnie?"

I also checked her pulse.

"Hishoomm?" she raised a hand to wipe the drool off her lips and reached out to touch me.

I dodged the drool.