Chapter 32: Polished

Start from the beginning

"I think you would have, too," she says firmly.

And with this, she presses the handle into my palm.

"Please take it."

I hesitate. It seems almost - cursed. I can so clearly imagine Mom, her scarred hands tucking this knife away forever. I wonder if she ever used it on him, before she threw it away. I can see it - a fight. Before Lucy. Dad screams, grabs her wrist. She pulls the knife, lifting higher -but then she sees his eyes and - the knife clatters to the ground. It's always the eyes. Weakness.

"Please," Lucy repeats, shaking me out of my reverie. I look at her, and I see something like fear in her face. For me.

She doesn't want me to end up like Mom.

So I take the knife, slide it into its scabbard, and hold it tightly in my hands.

Lucy smiles.

"Now - " she says, in the manner of moving onto more important things - "will there be cake, at this thing on Saturday?"

-

I finish reading the magazine. I clean my room three times. My first lessons in princessines - it's so weird to think of the word "princess" anywhere near my name - are tomorrow, so the remainder of the day is mine.

I think about how in the world I can ask Orion to come again. I want to see him.

I argue with myself, then I open the door, ready to go find him.

"Oh." I stop in my tracks. Orion is down the hall. He's carrying - my lunch.

"Orion!" I protest, rushing forward and taking the food tray from him. He's once again unguarded, and I suddenly want to reprimand him for taking risks. "Why - you - is this - "

"I asked Blackwell if I could bring you lunch," he says, surprised at my reaction.

I remember the article in the magazine. All about how Orion is favoring me. I guess I can now see where they're coming from.

"Thank you?" I say, still trying to rationalize the alpha in waiting carrying a lunch tray. It's too menial, too subservient. Especially for me. It's much more correct, like this - him, standing tall, hands resting calmly at his sides.

When we get to my room, I place the lunch tray on my bedside table. Right next to it is the brightly colored magazine, and I suddenly have an idea.

He said we were - friends. And I'm not all that familiar with how this friends thing works, but it seems like this would be on the table. Playful banter, right? It's something Elia and I would do.

I unfold the magazine ostentatiously.

Orion's lip curls in distaste.

"Where did you get that?" he asks.

Choosing to ignore his question, I simply clear my throat and begin.

"The Top Ten Hottest Things About Prince Orion," I read.

A beat of silence.

"No," Orion says, stepping forward.

"Ten," I continue, taking a step back and trying not to laugh, "He takes care of the planet."

"Lee," Orion growls, making a move towards me, reaching out to grab the magazine. I hold it out of his reach and continue reading.

"Nine - He rides horses."

This one has a picture of Orion on a horse, and, I admit, it's pretty hot. It doesn't distract me too much because I'm still able to dodge Orion.

"Eight - He has a sense of humor, but he knows when to stay serious."