Chapter 25: Secrets

"I want to testify," I blurt out instead of a hello.

Orion raises his eyebrows. I color. I was so focused on telling him before I lost my nerve that I wasn't really in control of my mouth.

"I've already delivered an account of the attack," Orion says quietly. "He's already going to prison for years."

I shake off the embarrassment as we begin our walk to the med wing. The hallway is mercifully empty. Orion falls into step next to me, his step light and his pace - I'm certain - less than half of his usual. But he doesn't complain.

"I want him gone, for good." I sound more vehement than I mean to.

I think of the night of the attack. I can still so clearly see Orion, eyes shining silver, hands dripping with blood.

"Okay," Orion murmurs. His eyes examine my expression. I turn my gaze forward. "I'll make sure you're escorted to the trial. It's set for Wednesday morning."

I nod, finding it suddenly difficult to speak. I think about the other question hanging in the air between us - will we tell the world that we're mates?

Tell him the truth my conscience screams. He wouldn't have ever offered to have me by his side - as a queen - if he knew how extensive my injuries really are.

Our fingertips brush as we walk, and Orion ever so slightly presses the back of his hand to mine. A vision flashes before my eyes - Orion's face, heavy with disappointment, disgust warping his features. Instinctively, I wince away from his touch.

Orion slowly pulls his hand back to his side.

I feel a rush of relief when we step into the elevator. We're basically halfway there. I just have to not make a fool of myself for a few more minutes. But then, as the elevator doors close on us, alone, I hear his heartbeat echoing in the small space between us and realize it's almost as fast as mine.

"Was it usually that bad? What he did to you?" He asks softly.

"No," I say instantly, but I'm not sure if it's true. What Dad normally does - it doesn't lead to broken bones and scarred hands. But it's hard to say if it hurts less.

"I knew," Orion declares suddenly. I look at him, surprised by the change in his tone. His gaze is clouded and dark.

"I knew who you were," he continues, "I knew for weeks."

My face flushes. I blink once, mouth hanging open, before I can speak.

"What?" I choke out.

Orion moves like he's going to reach for me. I hadn't realized that I had taken a step backwards until he presses slightly into the space.

"There was a night, months ago. There was a cut on your arm and - your back -"

Orion pauses, relaxes the tightness in his jaw, and continues.

"I already knew you were in the Palace. Someday, I'll ask you why your scent was all over my room. I checked through the entire staff, starting with the maids and working my way down. I went to the kitchen staff as a last resort."

"The kitchen inspection," I say with a wince.

Orion nods, licking his lips nervously.

"You didn't smell like - you. You were covered in so many other scents that it was nearly impossible to tell. I didn't think it was you. But then I saw a bandage on your arm, just where I had felt the cut the night before."

My stomach sinks three floors lower.

"You knew it was me?" I whisper, horrified. "You must have thought I was the worst person in the world."