七 | ファイトトレーニング

The next day was rather boring (in Ayane's opinion), as it was mainly spent with regular core classes, which Ayane flew by in. She may have scored average on the entrance exam test, but to be perfectly frank, she hadn't felt like taking a test that day, so she half-assed it.

Finally, it was time for daily foundational heroics studies, the class everyone looked forward too. "I AM HERE, COMING THROUGH THE DOOR LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!!!" All Might exclaimed, entering in a flashy manner.

"I can't believe it! All Might's really gonna be teaching us...!!!"

"That design's so silver age!"

"That art style clashes so much it's giving me goosebumps..."

"FOUNDATIONAL HERO STUDIES! FOR THIS CLASS, WE'LL BE BUILDING UP YOUR HERO FOUNDATION THROUGH VARIOUS TRIALS! LET'S JUMP RIGHT IN WITH THIS!! THE TRIAL OF BATTLE!!" All Might announced, holding up a card that read 'battle'. Ayane, who had her hands behind her head as usual, perked up slightly. "AND TO GO WITH YOUR FIRST BATTLE..." He started, compartments with suitcases popping out from the wall. "WE'VE PREPARED THE GEAR WE HAD YOU SEND IN REQUESTS FOR TO MATCH YOUR QUIRKS!"

"Our battle gear!!!"

"Awesome!!"

"GET CHANGED AND WE'LL BE READY TO GO! EVERYONE GATHER AT GROUND BETA! THE GARB YOU BRING INTO THE BATTLEFIELD IS VITALLY IMPORTANT, BOYS AND GIRLS!! AND DON'T FORGET! FROM HERE ON OUT, YOU'RE ALL OFFICIALLY HEROES!!" Everyone got changed, walking out into the grounds wearing their chosen hero costumes.

(Here's Ayane's hero costume [the one on the right] except she doesn't wear a mask and the whole outfit has a hood)

"ALL RIGHT! LET'S SEE WHAT YOU'RE MADE OF, YOU BUNCH OF NEWBIES!! IT'S TIME FOR THE TRIAL OF BATTLE!! I'M LIKING EVERYONE'S STYLED! VERY COOL!!"

"Sensei! Regarding the performance ground we'll be using, is it the mock-city from the entrance exam?!" Iida asked from his knightly costume, raising his hand.

"YOU'LL SEE--IN FACT, TAKE TWO STEPS AND YOU'LL BE THERE! THIS WILL BE AN INDOOR BATTLE TRIAL! VILLAIN CLEANUP IS USUALLY SEEN OUT IN THE OPEN, BUT STATISTICALLY, THE BETTER PART OF IT IS AN INDOOR JOB. MOST ACTS OF VILLAINY ARE COMMITTED INDOORS. IMPRISONMENT...HOUSE ARREST...THE BLACK MARKET...IN THIS HERO SATURATED SOCIETY. WHY, ANY VILLAIN WITH INTELLIGENCE IS LURKING IN THE SHADOWS!! FOR THIS TEST, YOU'LL SEPARATE INTO VILLAIN AND HERO GROUPS FOR A TWO-ON-TWO TEAM BATTLE!!"

"What about the foundational training?" Tsuyu wondered. "THIS IS FOUNDATIONAL TRAINING! ONLY THIS TIME, THERE WON'T BE ANY ROBOTS IT'D BE OKAY TO JUST DESTROY!"

"So how do we determine who wins and loses?"

"Is it okay if we just blow them away?"

"Is there a threat of expulsion like with Aizawa-sensei's exercise...?"

"If we're separating into different groups, what would be the best way to do so?"

"Doesn't this cape look killer on me...?"

"HNNN~~~I CAN'T HEAR YOU IF YOU SPEAK ALL AT ONCE!!! FOR THIS TRAINING, WE'LL HAVE SOME VILLAINS GUARD A NUCLEAR WEAPON THEY INTEND ON DEPLOYING! THE HEROES MUST STOP THEM AND THEIR NEFARIOUS SCHEME BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! IF THE HEROES CAPTURE THE VILLAINS OR REACH THE NUCLEAR CORE BEFORE THE TIME RUNS OUT, THEY WIN. IF THE VILLAINS MANAGE TO KEEP THE CORE THE WHOLE TIME OR CAPTURE THE HEROES, THEY WIN. YOUR TEAMMATES AND OPPONENTS WILL BE CHOSEN BY LOTTERY!"

"Is that really how we'll do it?!" Iida complained. "Well, pros are often forced to make impromptu team-ups with other heroes they might not know very well, so this is probably testing that..." Midoriya explained. "I see...! Always with our eyes on the future, are we...I apologize!"

"ANYWAY!! LET'S START THIS!!"

"Wait, sensei! One more question!!" Iida popped his hand up once more. "YES, WHAT IS IT YOUNG IIDA?"

"Well, it's just that, there's an odd number of students in our class. How is it that we'll decide teams with one extra person?"

"AH, I'M GLAD YOU ASKED THAT!! YOU SEE, IN THE WORLD OF HEROES AND VILLAINS, THERE'S ALSO A THIRD PARTY THAT SOMETIMES GETS INVOLVED WITH CRIMINALS. TELL ME, DO YOU ALL KNOW OF VIGILANTES?"

"Hang on, are you trying to say that-"

"THAT IS CORRECT, YOUNG IIDA! ONE OF YOU WILL BE PLAYING THE ROLE OF VIGILANTE! THE WAY TO WIN IS THE SAME AS THE HEROES, CAPTURE THE WEAPON OR THE VILLAINS AND VICTORY WILL BE YOURS!!"

"I see! Thank you, All Might-sensei!"

"OKAY!! NOW TO ACTUALLY START THIS EXERCISE!!"

Everyone drew lots, standing with their teammates. By the time it was Ayane's turn, everybody had already gotten their partners, so it was no surprise Ayane drew the vigilante lot. She shrugged, thinking, 'Eh, I work better alone anyways.'

"AND THE FIRST TWO PAIRS TO DO COMBAT WILL BE THE FOLLOWING!" All Might drew two lots out of a villain and hero box. "PAIR A WILL BE THE HEROES AND PAIR D WILL BE THE VILLAINS!!" Ayane could feel the tension in the air as Bakugou and Midoriya's gazes met. 'They must have history,' she concluded.

"THE SCENARIO HAS THE VILLAINS INSIDE THE BUILDING FIRST! THEN, AFTER FIVE MINUTES THE HEROES WILL BE LET IN AS WELL! THREE MINUTES AFTER THAT, THE VIGILANTE WILL BE LET IN! EVERYONE ELSE WILL BE ABLE TO WATCH WHAT UNFOLDS THROUGH THE SURVEILLANCE CAMERAS! THIS WILL ALLOW YOUNG IIDA AND BAKUGOU TO GET INSIDE THE HEADS OF VILLAIN-KIND! THIS IS A PRACTICAL TRAINING EXERCISE! SO GO ALL OUT WITHOUT FEAR OF INJURY! THOUGH NATURALLY WE'LL CUT IT SHORT OF THINGS GET OUT OF HAND..."

The vigilante as well as the heroes were given a map of the building, being allowed to scan it over as they waited. The heroes stood out in front of the building, while Ayane had jumped onto the roof to wait. Her earpiece was connected to All Might's, so she would be alerted when it was her time to go into the building. "TRIAL OF INDOOR BATTLE, START!" She heard All Might's voice over the loudspeaker, talking to the heroes. Ayane sighed, letting the map of the building soar through the wind. In a matter of minutes she had already committed it to memory, so she had no use for it. Besides, with her En, she could easily pinpoint everyone's location without having to look around for them manually.

After what felt like an eternity of waiting, All Might finally came in through her earpiece. "VIGILANTE! YOU MAY NOW ENTER THE BUILDING!!" With the use of her En, she had already figured out where everyone was. Midoriya and Bakugou were duking it out on the first floor, while Uraraka had slipped away and was now hiding on the fifth floor, where Iida was. Now all that was left for Ayane to decide was which one she wanted to target. On one hand, fighting Bakugou would provide her a source of entertainment, as she had already figured out he had an explosive personality. On the other hand, fighting Iida would be easy and provide her with the win in no time.

Ayane hadn't realized she had spent so much time thinking it over until she heard a loud explosion, the side of the building now destroyed. Ayane smirked, having made up her mind. She knew what she would do to win this.

----

Meanwhile, in the monitor room...

"What's she doing? Is she just gonna stand on the roof the whole time? That's not very manly..." Kirishima commented as the class watched Ayane, who's reaction to Bakugou's big explosion was nonexistent.

----

Ayane waited for the perfect opportunity to strike. Luckily for her, it came. Midoriya used his power to destroy the ceiling up until the roof, giving Uraraka the chance to strike at Iida. Ayane smirked, seemingly disappearing from view. Just as Uraraka was about to touch the weapon, a figure appeared before her, touching it first. "Wha...?"

"THE VIGILANTE WINS!!!"