chapter thirty

bzzt

bzzt

"mph-"

bzzt

"oh my god."

dream groaned, feeling around his nightstand for his phone—the source of the consistent vibrating. i need to remember to turn that off.

having found it, dream lifted the device up and over his face, eyes still closed.

he absolutely dreaded opening his eyes for the first time in the morning. for starters, it was way too bright in contrast to the safety of his eyelids, and you always have to rub away the blur of the last traces of sleep. once you start rubbing your eyes, it's hard to stop until it hurts. it leads into a whole chain of events he wished he could avoid.

dream sighed, prying his eyes open at last. for the first time in years, waking up didn't seem half bad.

and then the migraine set in.

"oh my god." he repeated. he threw his phone on his comforter, which was bunched together towards the foot of his mattress from him moving in his sleep, and swung his legs around the edges of his bed.

dream opened the drawer attached to his nightstand, sifting through the miscellaneous objects it held. he let out a long sigh of relief as he found what he needed.

bzzt

the noise was muffled, but still enough to further annoy him.

dream took off the cap of the prescription bottle he held, emptying its contents onto his left hand. there were only two pills left.

huh? that doesn't seem right.

he shrugged to himself, dry swallowing the pills anyways.

bzzt

dream ignored it, staring at the empty bottle he held.

bzzt

the noise grew more distorted as his headache worsened. he wished he could just go back to sleep.

bzzt

"fine." dream picked up his phone again, the screen turning on and showing him how many notifications he had. holy shit.

some were from twitter and snapchat, but most were from discord. the most recent ones were imessages. he didn't look at any of them. instead, he opened discord. george and sapnap were already in a call.

dream grabbed his airpods from his nightstand, putting them in and hovering his thumb over the blue 'join voice' button.

he let out a long breath, pressing it at last and holding the phone's microphone somewhat close to his mouth.

what am i so nervous about? i didn't do anything wrong.

"...but could he— dream?"

dream stayed silent. he wasn't scared or upset, he just didn't exactly have anything he needed to say.

"dream?" sapnap said again.

dream swallowed the lump in his throat. "hi."

the other two were quiet for a few moments, before bursting into a jumble of words. "wh— dream! where the hell have you been?" george yelled. "you haven't been answering anybody!"

sapnap was talking so fast that he just seemed to be making unintelligible noises.

dream waited for george and sapnap's entourage of questions to come to a stop. "i literally just woke up."

"goddamn sleeping beauty," sapnap jeered, "nobody sleeps for a whole day. who provided the 'true love's kiss'? was it george?"

dream imagined how flustered george would be after that, letting out a long awaited laugh. "sapnap!" george shouted.

"oh, you didn't tell him you came to wake me up from my cursed slumber?" dream joined in, a large grin appearing on his face. it felt nice.

"oh my god, dream."

they all burst out laughing. dream fell back onto his bed, out of breath. he stared at the ceiling, the others' laughter dying down.

the three sat in the comfortable silence. he never realized how amazing it felt to laugh. and smile. and talk. and live.

"hey guys?" dream said suddenly.

"hm?"

"what?"

dream smiled again. their voices were enough to make him happy.

"i'm glad we're friends."

━━「₪」━━

end