Chapter 5: Happy

On one end of the sprawling family room, Chief Taroom perched erect, fingers fluttering an irregular rhythm on the chair's arms. On the other side, King Makapu leaned back, hands draped casually over the armrests and one leg crossed over the other. Meager early morning light drizzled through the dark curtains of two high windows.

In the middle of the circle of armchairs, an assortment of toys scattered a rug of stitched-together animal pelts. Karoo scooted forward on his hands and knees, plucked up a black wooden panther, and popped it in his mouth. Prince Makari toddled after him with a huff.

"No, Karoo!" Makari wrenched the toy from Karoo's grasp. "Mine!"

Karoo crawled off toward another toy. Makari groaned and hurried after him once more.

"Good morning, Epsa," the King's warm bass rumbled. "You look ready for today's adventure."

I fingered the hilt of the blade strapped to my waist. "I will set out to face the Trogolese as soon as Pim arrives, Your Majesty."

"Would you like to join us until then?"

I hesitated, glancing at Chief Taroom. "I am not interrupting anything?"

"No, not at all," said the King. "In fact, we have reached a bit of an impasse. I wish to form this nation in the image of our Goddess, and Chief Taroom believes the colorless barbarians should be allowed to insult the one true Goddess without consequence."

"I see," I said as I lowered myself onto the armchair nearest the King.

The Chief's fingers stopped drumming, and he swallowed. "Your Majesty, I believe the term 'colorless barbarians' could be offensive. Perhaps 'Northerners' is a more apt description?"

The King chuckled. "What a silly thing to take offense over. I have nothing against the colorless as long as they do not worship the Lesser Gods. Why, I have a colorless on my own Royal Guard—a devout follower of Goddess Rashika, of course."

I stiffened as I remembered Pim's silver Acrador necklace. What would happen if the King knew Pim still wore emblems of Lesser Gods?

King Makapu twisted to flash me a weary smile, as if to apologize for the absurdity of the question he was about to ask. "Epsa, is Pim offended by anything I say?'"

With an effort, I returned the smile. "No, Your Majesty, of course not."

King Makapu tipped his head to the Chief. "Well, there you have it."

"Bad Karoo! Stop eating my toys!"

The shrill whine brought our attention back to the children. Makari fumbled with the dozen toys already trapped between his arms and chin as he struggled to rescue a galloping stallion from Karoo's mouth.

Princess Paranila stomped into the room, clutching her temples. Her fluffy curls were clipped back and twisted in the process of braiding.

"Your Majesty." Her voice was tart—too tart for one addressing the King. "What is this racket?"

The King tilted his head toward the children. "Your son is playing with Joop's son, Paranila."

She crossed her arms across her chest, propping up hefty breasts. "Well this playing is giving me a headache. Have Makari returned to the nursery, please."

The King sighed. "As you wish." He reached back to the table behind his armchair and lifted a delicate golden bell.

As the bell chimed, Paranila flounced out of the room. A moment later, Honey entered. Her gold collar, bronze skin, and white teeth sparkled in the dim natural lighting as she swept into a curtsy.