2

A Cute Couple

August could've stayed all afternoon in the kitchen to admire the honey eyed girl, reveling in her attention and listening to her sweet voice explain different treats to him without any fear or hesitation. There's nothing more he'd rather do actually, but Todd had other plans.

August cast another longing glance over his shoulder at the shrinking back door of the club house as Todd tugged him away. He didn't understand why he wanted to be around the girl so much. It completely baffled him, but just the thought of her made him feel warm and content, like she was actual sunshine. And to the poor, clueless man, that made absolutely no sense. But he liked the strange feelings anyway.

He reluctantly followed Todd to one of the corners along the side of the club house, away from mingling groups and any wondering eyes. August anxiously glanced through a nearby window, "She's all alone.".

Todd rolled his eyes and waved off August's worried remark, "She said it was fine. The country club hired her company to cater, so she's busy anyways. Now," he rubbed his hands together, a mischievous smirk curling at the corners of his mouth, "let's get papa some tea, huh? Did ya talk to her?"

August's eyes lit up as he nodded, the memory of them together warming his chest.

"Oooh!" Todd playfully pushed, well attempted to push, his giant friend's shoulder, "What did ya say, boy?"

A softness seemed to slowly take over August's stony face as he thought of the bubbly, curly haired girl, and a rare, small smile tugged at his lips, "What is your name."

Todd blinked several times in stunned silence "...What?"

August nodded eagerly, "I asked her name."

"Well... that's great August! It really is! But was there perhaps anything else, maybe anything particularly juicy, said?"

His tiny smile began to falter, "I look like I eat healthy cookies."

"Well, she's not wrong..." His friend mumbled before letting out a sigh, "She did all the talking didn't she?"

August cast his gaze to the ground, "She sounds nice." he muttered softly.

"Buddy, ya did good, but ya only asked her one question. Don't ya want to know more about her?"

August quickly nodded.

The shorter man reached up, grabbing his socially dense friend's pretty face between his hands, giving it a gentle shake, "Then ya got to try and use your words. I know it's hard, Aug, but this is our last night before we head home. I don't want ya regretting anything because ya didn't talk to this girl."

Shuffling dirt and moans turned both men's attention to a couple fiercely making out, stumbling towards their secluded corner. The couple stops short though, when one of the lovers notice the two friends.

"Oh sorry," The man started, pulling away from a breathless woman, "didn't know this spot was already taken."

Todd's brows rose in shock and he finally retracted his hands from August's face, "No, its- we're not-  "

"Hey, no judgement here." The woman piped in, giving a bright smile.

"Yeah. Love is love."

The girl nods, "Mmhmm. Y'all are a cute couple."

"Well," Todd interjects, "I like ladies and he," he glanced up to his friend who stared blankly back, most likely looking to Todd to explain what was going on, "he...I don't know specifically what he likes. He hasn't opened up to me in that way, so... continue making out." Todd grabs August's arm, tugging him to follow again, "We have things to discuss."