Chapter 70- Finale

here we are. it's finally over.
thank you so, so much for sticking with this story. every comment, vote, addition to list, and read made me smile when i saw the notification.
at the time of publishing, we have just over eight thousand reads. thank you for this incredible feat and the constant support.
i'm keeping it short and sweet for the finale; i really hope you like it.
i love you all 🤍
<><><>

ONE YEAR LATER/ YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
I swing my legs, my palms resting against the cool marble of the kitchen island. Biting my lip out of nerves, I look at Peter's back as he rinses out his coffee mug. I release the pressure from my teeth, my lower lip flicking forward as I take a deep breath.

"I love you."

Peter freezes at the words I just blurted out, the water from the sink still running. My heart pounds against my ribcage as the seconds tick by, seeming like hours. The rush of water stops, the ceramic mug being set on the counter the only noises in the void of silence.

Peter slowly turns around, his eyes slightly widened in shock. I fold my lips inward in anticipation as my legs come to a standstill, my heartbeat filling my ears. I inhale, shakily, as I hold eye contact with him, anxiously waiting for any sign of his emotions.

His expression softens as he steps towards me, bringing one hand to my waist and the other to the nape of my neck, pulling me into a gentle kiss, our eyelashes brushing against each other's as our lips move together in a slow unison. My hands rest on his shoulders as I open my legs up to wrap them around his torso, gently bringing him closer to me.

He pulls away, rubbing my cheek with his thumb as I rest my forehead against his. "Say it again," he whispers, breath brushing against my lips. "I love you."

I can feel his smile as he places his lips onto mine again, this time full of emotion and certainty. After a few seconds, he wraps both arms around my waist, moving out of the kiss and enveloping me in a hug. He nuzzles his nose into my neck, and I lean my forehead on his shoulder. I close my eyes, the warmth of his arms around me all I need for the minutes that pass by.

Peter pulls back just enough to look at me, his eyes lit up from the inside with pure joy, love, and adoration. My stomach flips at the way he looks at me, and I can feel my irises gently warming, the gold lighting up Peter's face for a few seconds until it fades.

His gentle smile turns down just a little bit, "What about if you fall?"

I lean forward, resting our foreheads together and returning the smile to his face with my words.

"How could I?" I ask, hearing our hearts beat together.

"You've already caught me."

The End.