Chapter 57

YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
The weeks go by in a blur, what with traveling overseas nearly every day to go to different press events or fight crime with the team. And jet lag has been a real bitch. Try switching time zones every other day.

Not fun in the fucking slightest.

So you can imagine why I'm grumpy.

"Stand up straighter, (y/n). You're the face of Stark Industries, you really want people to see you slouching?" I glare at Sam, making fear flash over his features for a second. "I have gotten less than three hours of sleep every night, I have huge press events and business launches more than twice a week in different countries, and I'm fucking exhausted, so please excuse me for being a little bit hostile or inconsiderate about what other people think of me."

Bucky chuckles just as my name is called, and I straighten my spine, adjusting my simple, black dress. "I will have good posture, but not because you told me to, bird brain." "That's fine." I walk onstage, smiling and waving at the crowd as a microphone is handed to me. "Thank you! Thank you so much! I absolutely love you guys, wow," I say, getting a few more cheers from the crowd.

I chuckle, "Seriously, though, Sweden is amazing, you all are so nice, I couldn't be more grateful, thank you." I look over the crowd, adjusting my fingers on the remote in my hand.

"Anyway, I'm here, as you all know, to talk about a brand-new project run by Stark Industries. This is something that I actually relate to very much, and it would be amazing to have this internationally. So," I press the button, a huge slide of my presentation being projected behind me, "right now, I want to talk about the foster system. Not the most fun topic like our recent tech boost, but hear me out. Currently, there are over 2.7 million children or teenagers living in foster care, globally. But due to social media or television trends, foster and orphanage systems are having a bad light shed on them. These children are portrayed by entertainment as wicked or cruel, and the stereotypes are spreading like wildfire. Fewer people are willing to foster, and many children are left without a stable family or home."

The faces in the crowd all change as the slides of my presentation roll on, showing the harsh statistics. "What I am proposing is that in different countries, soon to what I hope will be the majority worldwide, specially-designed and focused schools will be built in areas that are available. We've gotten a team of economists to do the research and the math; it's highly possible and definitely affordable. These will be boarding schools that can give children from overcrowded orphanages, unwanted foster kids, or even needy homeless children a good education, a roof to live under, three warm meals a day, a bed to sleep in, any necessary medical treatment, recreation time, parental figures, and an overall stable environment that everyone deserves to have."

Cheers erupt from the people in front of me, bringing a smile to my face. "Stark Industries would start small, overlooking the funding and location planning for a few of these schools, let them develop over time, and then calculate the results. By our predictions, they should be extraordinary. We would be lowering the flooding orphanage counts, the influx of foster kids, and reducing the homeless population by hundreds. Not to mention, we'll also be shedding a more positive light on foster care, which is a definite plus." I pause for a second, and a few whoops come from the crowd. Taking a deep breath, I click the slide.

"Being in bad foster homes can be extremely unhealthy, especially for young children. It can lead to abuse, mental health problems, and stunted brain growth and development. I am an orphan and foster child. I know what it's like to watch others living with you get abused, physically and mentally. When fate made me end up at the Avengers facility in New York, I was a thin, sickly child. My bones were poking through my skin, there were scars on my back from when I would be punished harshly, and I had trust issues so horrible that I couldn't even touch anyone. I have seen the effects of a stable home because I am the effect of a stable home. Look where I am today. I would never be speaking in front of you if I hadn't landed up with a family that loves and cares for me. Every child in the world deserves a family like that."

The noise from the crowd is almost deafening, and I flinch a bit, waiting for it to die down.

"And we can give these children and teenagers the homes they need. One step at a time. And it starts with every single one of you in front of me right now. Spread the word. Reach out. Donate if you can. Sign petitions to help get this started. We're in this together, because together is the only way that we can get this task done. I'll be taking some questions now, so feel free to line up at the microphones in the aisles."

When the first person asks, "How exactly will these be funded?", I click back a few slides on the presentation. "That's a great question. Stark Industries is going to start the program with the revenue we make from our tech products. We're doing our best to make them more affordable and compatible for different demographics, so specific percentages will be set aside for separate aspects of this project. Approval to continue and expand will come from the help of federal grants and communal donations, but they'll still be primarily funded and overseen by Stark Industries."

I answer questions, most about the project but some regarding my alter ego, for half an hour, just before the sun starts to set. "I'm afraid that's all the time we have booked for tonight, so we'll have to cut this a little short. Thank you for coming out, Sweden, I appreciate it!"

I walk off stage, waving and smiling as I get behind the curtain, handing the microphone to one of the crew members. I unclip the mic attached to my dress, unwrapping the wires that go around to my back. I hand them to someone else as Bucky and Sam approach me. "Good work out there. You ready to go?"

I nod, balancing on one leg at a time to take my heels off and slipping on some sneakers instead. I grab my coat, "Let's go."

The two stand on either side of me, almost acting as bodyguards from paparazzi. We get into the Quinjet without any problems, and I sigh, dropping into a seat and nearly falling asleep by the time I sit down.

"How many more left?" Bucky asks, and I open my eyes, hitting my head against the headrest. "Switzerland, Bosnia, Seoul, Bali, Delhi, Ontario, home. In that general order, I think, I honestly don't remember. I'm really hating this at the moment."

Sam laughs, "Goodness, you've got a lot on your plate. I get why you snapped."

"Sorry 'bout that."

"Don't worry about it, kid. You're a teenager, I get it. You're hormonal, want a love life-"

"What in the actual hell, Sam?"

Bucky laughs at my annoyed groan, and I pull out my phone. "Already making headlines from Norway," I say, my eyebrows raising at the good reviews.

"I think they also want you to speak in D.C. when we get back."

"You're kidding."

"Nope."

"Good lord."

<><><>
for anyone who may have been wondering, these statistics and impacts of the system are indeed true.
(data from UNICEF 2017 & Pew Research Center 2020)