Nothing

I opened my eyes slowly to find myself on the cold bitter ground in a dark alley. It looked familiar; no one around, the brick wall, and the sign for the pizza place. A few moments later, I realized that it was the same alley that Riley had found me in that night. How did I get there? I rubbed my eyes hoping to wake back up to reality. Instead, I felt pain. I felt a warm thick drip going down the side of my face. Blood? How though? My body began to ache as I felt weaker and weaker.

I stood up in confusion and looked around once again. Suddenly, a dark figure began to get closer to me. As the figure got closer, I began to notice who it was. My breaths began to get deeper and deeper with fear.

"Luke..." I let out with a shaky voice.

"Told you that I'd be back." He told me with a stern tone.

I tried to respond but nothing would come out of my mouth. I tried to scream but once again, nothing came out. I was frozen with fear. He began to step forward once again. He was only inches from me now. He wrapped his arms around my neck. My body continued to ache as I find myself growing even weaker. His arms began to tighten around my neck. I tried to escape but his grasp was too tight and I was nowhere near strong enough. My vision began to blur as things went dark. I felt my body drop to the ground as I heard "Kenzie, Kenzie, Kenzie!" repeatedly.

My body was shaking as I continued to hear my name repeatedly.

"Kenzie! Wake up!!" A loud yell echoed through my head.

“Huh?!" I reacted as I woke up.

"You were shaking and practically crying out in fear in your sleep! What happened?" Riley asked.

I looked around to find myself back in Riley's bedroom. I let out a sigh of relief as my body began to calm.

"Luke...he was choking me in that alley." I told Riley.

"It was just a dream. It's okay, I'm here." Riley whispered into my ear as he pulled me into his arms.

Riley held onto me right without releasing his grasp at all. I felt comforted and I never had that before Riley came along. Without him, I would probably be dead by now.

It was December now. We have been in school for a little over four months. Nothing has changed really. Luke acts like everything is okay during the day when we are at school but he still stares at me with that same terrifying look. My parents never came back. I don’t know where they are or anything like that. But now, I really don’t care. I’m better without them anyways.

It was a Friday afternoon and school was now officially out for winter break. I could not be happier. The school planned a winter dance for tonight to celebrate the beginning of break. And tomorrow, the McDonough family, Braiden, Thomas, Cassidy, Rachel, Dyanna, Tayler, and I are all going up to Michigan to stay in a winter cabin for the break. Plus it will be nice to be around snow since we live in Florida. I could not wait to get away from everything for a few weeks.

Riley got up from his bed and I looked at him in confusion.

"Watcha doing?" I asked him.

"Getting your mind off of that dream." He smirked at me.

He grabbed his guitar and sat on the edge of his bed. I rested my head back onto the pillow and closed my eyes as he began to play. I could fall asleep to the sound of him playing guitar. Time passed as he strummed on guitar while I closed my eyes. He has a way of making everything better.

The strumming stopped for a moment. I opened my eyes to see Riley now lying right beside me. We looked at each other and smiled slightly. We both remained there quietly as he kissed the top of my nose softly.

My phone began to ring from a text on the other side of the room. I sighed then got up to see who it was. The ID said unknown number. I clicked ‘read message’ to see

"I'm still here and this time I am coming after more than just you. See you at the dance tonight."

I dropped my phone to the ground then slid against the wall straight to the floor in disbelief. My eyes met Riley’s and he looked at me in confusion.

“Babe, what’s wrong?” He asked getting out of bed and walking over to me.

He got to my level on the ground and I gave him my phone. He read the text and looked back at me with one of the biggest looks of concern.

“Do you still want to go tonight?” Riley asked unsure.

“Oh, we are going. I have a dress and everything and I have you as my date. Nothing is ruining this night. Not even Luke.” I told him in a confident tone which was different for me.

His eyes widened as he smirked at me. “Well okay then.”

He leaned in closer to me and gave me a kiss. Nothing was going to ruin this dance.

Nothing….

Author’s note: Sorry that I haven’t updated! But after Friday, I’m out of school for like 6 weeks for break so I will hopefully get some writing done! Anyways, as you can tell, I fast-forwarded time because I really want to have some winter/holiday related chapters!

Tell me what you think please! Vote, comment, and all that stuff. :D

-Cassandra (: