Back Once Again

“Kenzie! Wake up!” Riley yelled as he tossed a pillow over to the bed.

“What?! Huh?” I asked completely confused as a pillow hit my face.

“You have school today.” Riley told me while turning on the lights to his bedroom.

“Can I just not go and have classes online like you?” I asked sarcastically.

“Your parents wouldn’t let you. Remember?” He responded while now opening the blinds allowing the sunshine to fill the room.

He was right. My parents still weren’t home from wherever it is that they went. The last time I had talked to them was over the phone the night that Luke got arrested. I was starting to think that they just weren’t going to come home. I wouldn’t put it passed them though.

I made my way out of bed and looked through my clothes for something to wear. I decided on a simple pair of jean shorts and a black t-shirt that had Love written on it. I finished the outfit off with a cute pair of sandals. I brushed my hair and then my teeth as Riley got dressed.

Toby and Connor were still passed out in their bedrooms I assumed. Oh how I wish I could have classes online. We made our way downstairs to where Joan was already making breakfast.

“I’m making you two French toast for breakfast. I hope you’re hungry.” She smiled over to us.

“You didn’t have to do that, Mrs. McDonough. I already feel like a bother here. You shouldn’t have to make breakfast before I have to go to school.”

“Nonsense sweetheart. I don’t mind having you here and helping out. Have you heard from your parents at all?” She asked showing some concern.

“Not since last week. But since the whole thing with Luke is over, I’m going to go back to my house. I don’t want to be a burden to you all.” I told her as I sat down at the table.

“Hold on now.” Joan said as she walked over to me. Riley remained quiet as she began talking once again. “I don’t want you going home if you don’t have anyone there with you.”

“She’s right you know.” Riley told me. I shrugged.

“They are both right. We want you here.” Connor adds still half asleep slumping down the stairs.

“You know you are welcome here.” Joan told me.

“And I’m sure Riley doesn’t mind having you here either…staying in his bedroom every night.” Connor mentioned.

Riley gave him a death glare before Joan and I began laughing. I actually really loved staying there with them. For once I actually felt like people cared about me.

I sat down beside Riley and we ate breakfast together. After eating, Riley put our plates in the sink and grabbed his keys off of the counter. We said bye to Connor and Joan and made our way to the school. We got into the car and Riley put in his Maroon 5 CD.

“We have some extra time before you have to start school. Do you want to stop at Starbucks?” Riley asked looking over at me.

“That sounds good.” I said smiling over to him.

He pulled into a Starbucks and walked around to open the car door for me.

“May I help you?” The lady at the counter asked Riley.

“Yeah, can we have a…” He looked over at me so that I could tell the lady what I wanted to drink.

“A Passion Tea please.” I smiled over to Riley.

“And for you?” The lady asked Riley.

“I’ll have a Peppermint Mocha.”

Riley paid the cashier and then we waited for our drinks. Once we got them we made our way back out to the car. The school was only 5 minutes from the Starbucks so it wasn’t a long drive at all. Riley pulled into the parking lot and up to the curb. I just stared at the school and sighed. I wanted to be almost anywhere but there.

“You’ll be fine babe, I promise.” Riley told me as he kissed my cheek.

“You’re right. Thank you.” I smiled over to him reassuringly.

“Plus you have Cassidy, Dyanna, and Rachel all with you this year. It’s your last year of high school. Enjoy it!” He wrapped his arms around me as well as you could while you are sitting inside a car.

“Thanks Ri. I’ll see you at 12:30.” I was so happy to be a senior which meant we could get out of school early. I had been looking forward to that perk for years.

I kissed Riley then got out of the car. I grabbed my bag and threw it over my shoulder. This should be fun. Busses were pulling through and dropping off loads of kids. I stumbled into school not having any urge to be there. I looked down at the sheet of paper to find out my locker number. Great, it was on the other side of school from my first class. I walked up the stairwell that I didn’t miss at all.

“KENZIE!!!!!!!!” The screech was a dead giveaway as to who it was.

I turned around and reached my arms out wide as I yelled “DYANNA!!!!!!!!” Typical first day back at school behavior for us.

 After hugging Dyanna she grabbed my schedule from me to compare them.

“Well?” I asked.

“We have Math and Health together! And lunch too, but that’s when we both leave so yeah.”

“So our 2nd and 3rd class then?” I asked.

“Yup!” Dyanna responded.

“Kenzie! Dyanna!” Cassidy and Rachel yelled from down the hall.

They ran over to us and we all joined in a huge group hug. I really don’t know why because we see each other practically every day. But now we all are really close in school so it’s cool.

“This school is huge! How do you not get lost?!” Rachel asked looking around in fear.

“Ehh, you’ll get used to it. Where is your first class?” Dyanna asked.

“Uhh I have Biology in room 205.” Rachel said looking at her schedule.

“My class is in room 207. I’ll walk with you! See you guys!” Dyanna told Cassidy and I as she and Rachel walked off to their first class.

Cassidy and I compared our schedules. We had Math 2nd and Art 4th together. So the only person that I didn’t have a friend in was my 1st class, Chemistry. The first bell to get to class went off meaning we only had 5 minutes to get to class.

“My first class is upstairs so I have to go! I’ll see you in math!” She yelled to me as she ran off so she wouldn’t be late.

I went to my locker quickly to drop off my extra books. I put in the combination and opened the locker quickly but dropped my books in the process.

“Great…” I said out loud to myself.

I knelt down to the floor to grab my books when my hand met with someone else’s.

“Uhh thanks, but I got it.” I said trying to gather the books together.

I looked up to see who it was but found myself dropping the books once again after seeing who it was.

Author’s note: Hey guys! So this is just the beginning to the sequel for Letting Go! Thank you to everyone who requested the sequel. I’m really excited to write this. Sorry that it’s boring but this is just the intro to the sequel. I have a lot planned in store! Please continue to give me feedback. Vote and comment please! Thank you all! :D

-Cassandra (: