Misconceptions

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Anaya

I know that my family had recently displayed greedy behaviour, but how can I forget everything else? Till now, they'd raised with lovingly and with care. I had no idea why their behaviour had changed so dramatically, but I couldn't forget all those years that they had taken care of me. That would be utterly ungrateful of me. 

But Faiz was worried sick about me, and I am the one who had worried him. Now he was insisting that I moved to the hotel where I would not only be comfortable, but I would be safer than in the Bird Room on the roof. 

I decided to ask Ammi for advice.

"Go!" She said, as she folded the clean laundry in her room.

"But the rukhsati hasn't been done! How can I move out, especially since Faiz isn't here?" I asked, anxiously. "I'm telling him that I'd rather stay here." 

"Anaya, you're married now. You need to grow up." She didn't look up at me once.

"I'm going to ask Baba Jaan." I turned to leave the room.

"Anaya, Faiz tumhara shohar hai. Woh keh raha hai kuch to sunlo." She spoke. "And besides, you'll be comfortable there, with no issues and no problems."

*"Faiz is your husband. If he is saying something, listen to him." 

"Ammi, am I adopted?" I turned to face her directly. "Because since my Nikah, I feel like you guys think I'm a burden, and you're eager to get rid of me." 

"When a daughter gets married, it's best to send her off with her husband as soon as possible. We're just worried about that." She sighed.

"We have a genuine reason!" I cried. "And how does that justify Baba Jaan asking Faiz for my maintenance money?" 

"How is that wrong?" Ammi looked annoyed. "You are his wife, his responsibility, so if he pays for your maintenance, he's not doing us a favour!" 

"You're my parents!" I practically shouted. "You should not be paid to look after me, regardless my marital status." 

She had no answer to that, and I decided that I'd had enough. I knew that my parents were a bit stingy when it came to spending, but I have now realised that they weren't just about saving money, they were also greedy for more. I had not recognised my own parents until now, and it really hurt.

"I'm leaving. Allah Hafiz." I muttered. "Consider this my rukhsati." With a heavy heart, and tears in my eyes, I went to the Bird Room to pack.

****

Faiz had sent a very fancy car to pick me up, and the driver held open the door for me. After I was inside, and he closed the door behind me, he loaded my luggage into the car boot. Ammi and Hafsa Chachi stood outside to see me off, but I didn't look at them again. Hafsa Chachi was actually crying, but Ammi...I can't describe the emotions on her face. She looked sad, but there was just something off about her expressions.

We drove away from my family home, down the uneven roads towards the main road. Soon, the old parts of Lahore began to fade away, leading to the modern parts, eventually ending up in the wealthier parts of the city. I kept my dupatta draped over my head even as we pulled up outside a luxurious hotel. 

Rose Luxe.

I got up, staring up at the building, wide eyed. A suited man with a name tag and a bellboy raced out immediately.