Vol. 2: Cinderella

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I'm so terribly sorry that you don't like an early breakfast, I'd much rather feed myself before you, but I have my orders, so don't blame me."

Lucifer just lowly growled and haughtily followed after Cinder for his milk.

Cinder paced down to the basement to prepare breakfast for everyone, first pouring some milk in a dish and laying it on the floor for Lucifer. Then he moved on to brewing tea for his step-mother and step-sisters.

As predicted, the moment the kettle whistled, the bells attached to the wall started chiming obnoxiously.

"ELLA!"

Cinder sighed and poured the tea into three cups, also preparing some cream, just in case. The bells and the screaming continued until Cinder shouted, "Alright, alright, I'm coming! Calm down!"

He balanced a tray on his head and held the other two on his flat palms, using his feet to pull open the doors. The first door was to Drizella's room.

"Good morning, Drizella."

"Oh, just bring it in and get out. And bring me back my laundry in an hour! An hour, you understand?"

"Yes, Drizella." He laid the tray on the bedside table and used his free hand to heft the laundry basket, keeping it from slipping by pressing the rim into his waist and grasping the outside. Then he left the room and went farther down the hall to Anastasia's door.

"Good morning, Anastasia."

"Well it's about time!" she exclaimed. "Don't forget to mend my dress, and don't take all day to get it done, either!"

"Yes, Anastasia." He set the tray down on the nightstand and grabbed the dress, laying it across the top of the laundry basket to keep it from getting wrinkled. He left the room and walked farther down the hall, stopping just in front of Tremaine's room. Cinder had to stop and take a breath before knocking. He was always scared of going in that room, after all these years.

"Well, come in, child, get on with it," his step-mother snapped.

Cindy swallowed back his nerves and pushed the door open, keeping his head down. He placed the tray on the bed near her legs, like he'd specifically been instructed. Then he stepped back and clasped his hands in front of him in silence. It was better to wait for permission before trying to leave.

"Pick up the laundry and go on with your duties." She waved him away irritably.

"Yes, step-mother." He started towards the door.

He'd made it part way down the stairs with the laundry before there came a blood curdling scream from Anastasia's room and the shattering of china before she ran out. Cinder was already up the stairs, worried and frightened.

"Mother! Mother!" Anastasia saw Cinder and glowered. "You did this on purpose! Mother, oh Mother!"

Drizzella raced out of her room, already glaring at Cinder. "Oh, what did you do now?"

Cinder stuttered anxiously, "I- I didn't- I didn't do anything- I don't know what's-"

Drizzella just huffed, and also ran into her mother's room. They could hear Anastasia telling her terrifying tale to Lady Tremaine.

"Oh, it was awful, Mother, and she did it on purpose, an awful ugly mouse under my tea cup!"

As if on cue, a small brown creature skittered out of Anastasia's room. Only Cinder seemed to notice. He bent down and caught GusGus in his hand, cupping his other hand overtop protectively.

He hissed at the mouse, "What were you doing in there?" But the question was pointless, he knew it.

GusGus was trying to explain, but he was so panicked and talking so fast that even Cinder couldn't understand him. And then it didn't matter, because his step-mother had called him and GusGus had scurried away.