Vol. 2: Cinderella

Start from the beginning

The birds twittered, a bit disappointed, but they understood.

The town clock chimed, its volume reverberating through the attic of the chateau. 6:00.

"Oh, that clock... killjoy." Cinder stood and stormed to the open window, shaking his pillow angrily. "Yes, yes, I hear you. 'Time to get up,' you say, 'time to start another day!' Even he tells me what to do..."

The birds chirped, shaking their heads, as if shaming the clock even though moments before they'd been trying to get Cinder out of bed.

"Welp, time to get ready for my chores, then."

Cinder gathered his clothes and laid them out on the chair next to his dressing screen, preparing his sponge bath and strip of cloth. He scrubbed himself down, humming quietly as low as he could manage, and dried himself. He grabbed the cloth and wrapped it tightly around his chest to flatten... what he had there.

He reached out from behind the screen and grabbed his shirt, pulling it over his head and smoothing it out. Couldn't even tell. Good.

He finished dressing and tied an apron around his waist, slipping on his flats for work.

For a moment, Cinder had the compulsion to tie a bandana around his hair but he quickly shoved it away. He reminded himself he didn't need or want to do that anymore. A long time ago, he'd decided to cut his hair himself, so now it was short and choppy.

His step-mother had screamed at him for it, but he couldn't very well grow his hair back on command. And eventually she stopped noticing when he kept it from growing out.

But now it was time to get started on his work for the day before the others woke up. First on the list: feed the cat. Always one of the worst tasks...

Cinder left his room, otherwise known as the attic, and padded softly down the flight of steps. As he walked down the hallway, he opened the curtains along his path until he reached Lady Tremaine's bedroom. He cracked open the door and peeked inside. Lucifer, the huge black cat, was lounging on his bed.

"Come, kitty, kitty, come here..." Cinder whispered with false kindness.

Lucifer cracked open one eye to look at Cinder. He yawned dramatically, and for a moment Cinder thought he was going to get up. But then the stubborn animal just turned around, facing away from the door, and curled up again.

"Lucifer, come here!" he hissed.

The cat made no move to get up. He stayed curled in his ball, facing away.

"You're really going to make me... alright then..." Cinder muttered under his breath. He stepped into the room, leaving the door cracked open.

Cinder was strictly forbidden from entering Tremain's bedroom without permission, so he technically wasn't supposed to step foot inside, even to get the cat.

He treaded lightly on the carpeting and hovered over Lucifer's bed. He stooped down and carefully slid his arms under the cat's stomach, lifting him up. Lucifer did not like being picked up. For whatever reason, he seemed to understand the need for silence, so he elected to hiss quietly and rake his claws along Cinder's forearms.

Cinder sucked in a quick breath, biting his lip to stay quiet. He was used to scratches from Lucifer, and even sometimes Anastasia or Drizzella, but they still hurt after so many years.

Finally he reached the door. He shifted Lucifer's weight into one arm and closed the door behind him with the other. When the door was shut, he gently placed the black cat on the floor, scowling.