A Controversial Necklace and Happy Memories

Marinette waited for Adrien on the front steps of the school. She didn't know what to expect.

Did he see his father that morning? Was he able to stay calm? Did Gabriel figure out what he knows?

Her heart skipped a beat when she saw the silver town car turn the corner. She hurried down the steps to the sidewalk.

As soon as the car stopped at the curb, Adrien opened the door and jumped out. He closed the door behind him and threw his arms around Marinette.

They held onto each other for a few seconds until the car drove away.

Marinette pulled back to look at him. "What happened? Are you okay?" she asked quickly.

"It's okay," he said, smiling at her. "I didn't see him."

She exhaled and smiled. "Oh I'm so relieved. I was worried about you."

"I'm fine," he reassured her. After kissing he reached up to her face. But at noticing the necklace around her neck, Adrien's happy expression disappeared. "Why are you wearing that?" he asked.

She blinked at him. She didn't think that he would notice. At least, she was hoping that he wouldn't notice. "I... I have to."

"No, you don't have to. Please take it off. I don't want you wearing anything from him. I promise that I'll get you something really nice instead."

"No, you don't understand. I have to wear it. Your father... he put a tracking device inside of it," she finished with a whisper.

He stared at her. "He put a tracking device in it?"

She nodded.

His face was full of distress. "Take it off, Marinette. I'm not going to let him do this."

"No," she argued. "He doesn't know that I found the tracking device. If I stop wearing it he'll get suspicious."

"I don't want it touching you. At least take it off and put it in your bag."

"Okay Adrien. If it will make you feel better, I'll do that." She unclasped the necklace and dropped it into her purse. "Better?"

"Yeah," he replied. "I feel horrible that he did this to you. He's deranged, there's no other explanation."

"He's just desperate, that's all. I mean, I think he's doing this for your mom, to get her to wake up."

Adrien looked down at the ground, tears coming to his eyes. "I don't want to talk about this right now."

Marinette nodded and put her hand to his face. "I'm sorry."

He grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it. "I never want you to say those words again."

"I... I'm so sorry," she sputtered. "I won't talk about her again, I promise."

"No, not that," he said, moving closer. "I meant that you should never say 'I'm sorry' again." He leaned in and kissed her. "Don't you ever be sorry."

************************************

When the school day was done, Adrien checked his phone. "He didn't invite you over today."

"That makes sense, he wants me to stay home and wait for Griffin to stop by so I can get his information."

"Well life is just full of disappointments, isn't it?" he asked, wiggling his eyebrows at her.

She grinned widely. "Come on, let's go ask my parents."

They hurried hand-in-hand to her house and went inside. Tom and Sabine were in the front talking.