Chapter Thirteen: Attack

The night was growing dark. Averael sat next to the fire, poking at the embers. Pippin sat next to her, roasting a tomato from his pack on a stick. Boromir looked out on the river suspiciously as a log floated by. Averael looked up as well. She could see pale fingers and the top of a head poking out from the top of the log. 

"Gollum. He has tracked us since Moria." She turned her head to see Aragorn, also looking out at the log. The head and fingers disappeared behind the driftwood.

"I had hoped we would lose him on the river. But he's too clever a waterman." Aragorn finished.

"And if he alerts the enemy to our whereabouts it will make the crossing even more dangerous." Boromir said. Averael turned her head. Sam was offering Frodo some food, but he wasn't taking it. Averael was worried. Frodo hadn't been sleeping or eating very well lately. Boromir walked over to Aragorn. 

"Minas Tirith is the safer road." He said. "You know it. From there we can regroup... strike out for Mordor from a place of strength." 

"There is no strength in Gondor that can avail us." Aragorn shook his head. 

"You were quick enough to trust the Elves. Have you so little faith in your own people? Yes, there is weakness. There is frailty, but there is courage also, and honor to be found in men. But you will not see that. You are afraid! All your life, you have hidden in the shadows." Aragorn turned away, but Boromir pulled him back. "Scared of who you are, of what you are." 

Averael stood. "Boromir, that's enough." 

He looked to her and scowled. Aragorn turned back. "I will not lead the Ring within a hundred leagues of your city." He said. Boromir glared at the two of them and stalked away.

*** 

The next day, they set out on the river again. Boromir glared at Aragorn whenever he looked at him. Averael didn't like this man. She always felt uneasy around Boromir. Aragorn looked up and tapped Frodo on the shoulder.

"Frodo, the Argonath! Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old. My kin." Averael looked up at two majestic statues carved straight out of the mountain. Their left arms were held out, proudly guarding the River Anduin. She wasn't completely sure on her heritage. Eros' parents didn't know of her family's lineage. She knew she had no other family however, beyond her parents and theirs. She gazed up, wondering if the Argonath held special ties to her as well.

They passed the massive statues, heading towards a waterfall, and climbed out of the boats onto a gravel beach. They began to make camp. Averael noticed Frodo looked disturbed, and Boromir looked more queer than ever. She tried her best to stay clear of him, not knowing what might happen. 

"We cross the lake at nightfall. Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the north." Aragorn announced.

"Oh, yes? It's just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil? An impassable labyrinth of razor sharp rocks! And after that, it gets even better!" Gimli said sarcastically. Pippin looked up alarmed. Averael looked at Gimli. "Festering, stinking marshlands as far as the eye can see!" 

Aragorn nodded. "That is our road. I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf." He told Gimli. 

"Recover my--?" Gimli grunted. Aragorn took a seat next to Averael where she was sitting by the fire, greeting her with a nod. Legolas came over as well. 

"We should leave now." He said quietly to Aragorn.

"No. Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for cover of darkness." Aragorn said. Averael looked at Legolas, and saw worry in his eyes.

"It is not the eastern shore that worries me. A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near- I can feel it!" Averael looked down again, then stood up and viewed the camp. Merry returned from gathering firewood. 

"Where's Frodo?" He asked. Averael looked around. No sign of Frodo. She spotted Boromir's shield, sitting alone. 

"Boromir!" She said. Sam woke from his doze with a start. Aragorn looked around for Frodo and Boromir. 

"Split up! Look for Frodo and Boromir!" Aragorn said to everyone else. Averael took off in one direction, worried for Frodo. She scolded herself for not keeping an eye on the two. She knew something was wrong about Boromir, and Frodo wasn't in a position to protect the Ring on his own. She soon saw signs of a struggle and heard a voice.

"You'll go to your death and the death of us all! Curse you! Curse you! And all the halflings!" Boromir shouted. Averael ran to where she thought the noise was coming from. Through a copse of trees, she could see Boromir looking around frantically for the hobbit. He fell to the ground on his knees, sobbing now.

"Frodo?... Frodo?... What have I done?... please, Frodo!?" He called out. "Frodo I'm sorry! Frodo!" Averael stepped back. She didn't want to start a bad conversation with Boromir at the moment. They had to find Frodo. She ran around Boromir, out of sight, and soon found a stone structure. Frodo stood next to it as Aragorn approached him.

"Frodo?" Aragorn asked.

"The Ring has taken Boromir!" Frodo said, backing away.

"Where is the Ring?" Averael asked, stepping forward. 

"Stay away! Both of you!" Frodo backed up more. 

"Frodo, I swore to protect you!" Aragorn said. Frodo stopped, breathing heavily.

"Can you protect me from yourself? Would you destroy it?" Frodo held the Ring out on his palm. Aragorn slowly stepped forward, kneeling to the hobbit's level, then closed Frodo's hand with his. Averael let out a breath she did not know she was holding. 

"I would have gone with you to the end, to the very fires of Mordor." Aragorn said. 

"I know. Look after the others, especially Sam. He will not understand." Frodo said. 

"Frodo, your blade." Averael noticed, pointing. Frodo looked down and pulled his small sword out a fraction, revealing a bright blue light. 

"Go, Frodo. Run, run!" Aragorn said, pulling out his sword. Frodo ran, and Averael pulled out her own sword and joined Aragorn, prepared to fight the oncoming Uruk-Hai.