Ch 55 - Don't Leave Please

Start from the beginning

Peter offered her a brittle smile, "M-You know-" He trembled, tightening his grip around her hand, to the best of his ability, "What's happe-"

Morgan pulled away, faltering onto her feet, "Shut up."

Peter reached out, "M-"

"Everybody keeps telling me-to-understand-" She looked around, at the empty room, and it hit her, she narrowed her eyes, spinning to look at him, "Oh, fuck you."

"Morg-"

"You set this up." A sob tore through her, "All of you."

"I need you-" He let out a harsh breath, "To-listen."

"No."

"M-"

"I'm not gonna listen if you're gonna talk about dying," She blurted, locking an arm around her front, "You-you heal, you always do, and this time-"

"My-" His face crumbled, "My-body isn't holding on."

Morgan threw her hands into the air, "It has to!"

"Morgan." He scrunched his nose, "I'm scared." He cried, "I'm really, properly scared."

She doubled over, "Then don't go."

"Hey-hey-" He spoke softly, holding up his hand.

Morgan swayed, "You're meant to stay."

"M-"

"Dad left me, and-nothing made sense." She whimpered, "Then you came, and it started to." She choked out a sob, "You're my brother and brothers' stick around longer than anyone else!"

Peter blinked tears away, "I know-"

"I can't-" She pressed a hand to her head, "It can't take you and him, it's not fair-"

"I-"

"You've only been married for a year." She rubbed her eyes, "You're gonna have kids, and I'm gonna be the best Aunt in the world-apart from May."

"Can-can-" He managed a smile, "Would you be okay settling, for the universe's best sister?"

Morgan stared at him, torn, "Um..." She paced over, taking his hand, "I don't know."

"You are-" He held on, tight, "You've saved my life, more times than you-know."

She raised her eyebrows, "I have?"

"When-The shit went down with Beck-I didn't wanna put up with it, but you-you made me laugh when I thought I'd-never again." He stumbled over his word, "And you-stopped me from being reckless, when the-when the Hobgoblin took Ned." He shuddered, "You helped me-save my best friend."

"I should-" She sat down again, "I should have done something with this-"

"Nor-Norman is not your fault." He blurted, "He's not anybody's-"

Morgan titled her head to her shoulder, "Then why was he your responsibility?"

"That-that gas would have killed a normal person-" His chest rose, up and down, at irregular intervals, as he fought to speak, "-Straight away."

She sobbed, "It's killing you."

"I'm sorry-"

"You saved the city." She sank, "You deserve-to stay. I want you to stay, Petey. I need you to-"

Peter coaxed, pulling on her hand, "M-"
Her knees connected with the lamented floor with a heavy thump, "Peter-" She let go of his hand and buried her face against the mattress.