30

30. A Storm is Coming

Roni Quinn

Lottie Nubia Adams
1993 - 2020
Our paths may change as life goes on but the bond between us will always be strong

"We are all gathered here to celebrate the life of the beautiful Lottie Adams. Life and being alive are two different things. Life is the air that you breathe, the days and nights that pass you by but being alive those are the moments that are precious. These are are the moments that we are celebrating today. Lottie was the spark in the lives of her friends and family. She gave the people in her life joy and happiness. We ask the gods to welcome this beautiful soul and treat her with love and care as she once did." 

***

I flushed the toilet as I finished throwing up. I finished my mouth out and splashed water on my face. I left and sat on my bed. Tears streamed down my face as the memory of Lottie filled my head. I couldn't believe that she was really gone. 

"Hey." 

I quickly wiped my tears away and looked up to see Roe. "Hey."

"Mind if I come in." Roe asked. 

I nodded. 

Roe came into the room and sat next to me. I just cried even harder. I felt Roe wrap her arms around me. 

"Its going to be ok." Roe said. 

"I don't know if it is." I sobbed. 

"It will be." Roe said. 

"Lottie's dead, Roe. Kiana has to grow up without her mother." I said pulling away. 

"We'll get through this together." Roe said. 

I looked into Roe's eyes and saw the tears forming her eyes. She was trying to make me feel better. I forgot that Lottie was Roe's friend too. That we were all close once upon a time. 

"I'm sorry. I know was Lottie was your friend too." I said. 

"You knew her better than I did." Roe said. 

"But she was our friend." I said. "Looks like you're stuck with me." 

"I wouldn't have it any other way." Roe smiled. 

I smiled back feeling a little better. Suddenly, there was a loud crash sound. Roe and I left my room and headed downstairs where we saw Dave breaking up a fight between Nasir and Tyrell. I headed down there and grabbed Kiana who was scared. I shook my head and went back upstairs with Kiana in my arms. We were falling apart in more ways than one. 

Dave East

My family was getting smaller by the fucking minute. Hearing that Lottie was dead was the last straw. Lauren has went too far and I knew what I needed to do next.  But for now, I was gonna help Nasir through this and mourn Lottie. But tomorrow that bitch was dead for real this time. 

There were a few or us over at my house after the funeral was over. Nasir hadn't said anything all day which told me he was gonna blow up any minute. I was drinking from my beer when Tyrell approached me. 

"Dave are we gonna strike back?" Tyrell asked. 

"Not now." I said.

"Then when? Sitting here and crying over some bitch is not putting an end to Lauren's wrath." Tyrell said. 

"The fuck you say." Nasir questioned. 

"Shit." I mumbled. 

"Nasir, I didn't mean it." Tyrell said.