Chapter 16

Hannah

It's been over an hour and he still isn't back yet. And as much as I hate to admit it, I'm worried. Really fucking worried.

"Oh fuck this." I lean down and remove my heel. I'm breaking the window. It's not like I won't get paid enough to pay for the damage... but this is a Porsche.

Nope, not going to worry about the repercussions. I'll worry about them later. Right now, all I need to be worrying about is getting to Hayden.

Hold on a sec, since when do I think before I act? Never. So what the fuck am I doing stalling?

Just as I've removed my heel to break the window, the door opens. I lift my heel, ready to mutilate anyone who isn't Hayden but thankfully it is.

"Oh my go-." My relief doesn't last long because... because Hayden's bloodied and bruised up.

I gasp. "What the hell happened to you?" Can't you see? He got beat up Sherlock.

Hayden doesn't respond, instead, he pushes a button to start the car and begins driving as though he's going to dinner.

"Hayden!" I bellow. "What the hell happened to you?!"

His blank eyes turn to me. "I paid off the debt," he deadpans.

"Does it look like I fucking care about the debt?!" I shake my head vigorously. "Stop the car."

He ignores me and turns back to the road.

"I said stop the fucking car!" How is he this calm right now?

"What's your address?" He asks.

Is he being serious?

I check all the mirrors for any incoming cars. Thankfully there's none so I grab the steering wheel, forcing him to stop.

"What the fuck are you doing?" He barks, grabbing my hand and pulling up to the side. Leaving the car on, he turns his head toward me and when those blazing cloudy grey eyes meet mine, shivers run down my spine.

His face. Oh my gosh, his face. He's got a big ugly purple bruise forming on his right cheek, blood-caked under his nose and a cut straight down his bottom lip. His t-shirt is also bloodied and torn.

I quickly recollect myself. "What the fuck am I doing?" I scoff. "What the fuck happened to you. How can you just lock me in the car and try to pay off MY DEBT! And then come back into the car all bloodied and bruised up and act like it's nothing?!"

Hayden sighs and try's to move off again but I grab his hand, stopping him. He winces slightly and it's then I notice his bloody and cracked knuckles.

Tears begin simmering in my eyes and without meaning to, I swat his chest. Great fucking idea Hannah, hit the guy when he's already been beaten up because of you.

"Why the hell did you go in there!" I never wanted anyone to get involved. Me getting hurt wouldn't have mattered. Knowing someone got hurt in my stead because I trusted someone I shouldn't have, kills. I can't take it, I just can't. The bruises marking his skin should have marked mine instead. Not his. Mine.

Hayden's eyes soften and he lifts a hand to my face, but quickly withdraws it and looks away.

"Answer me!" I croak out past the massive lump forming in my throat. I deserve answers.

"They won't give you any more problems."

I slap the centre console, frustrated with his stupid responses. "Shut up! Just shut up!"

He quirks a brow, his lips tipping up in a tired smile. "You said to answer you."

He's literally impossible.

"Ugh." Tired, I close my eyes and slump back in my seat, trying to suppress the small smile suddenly threatening to break free.

After a second it does. "You're the worlds most infuriating person I've ever met." To think I thought it was me.

"The feelings are mutual, Miss Moon."

Filthy rich snob.

I laugh but it comes out groggy due to my screaming.

I hear some shuffling then a flask lid turning. "Have some water."

Opening my eyes, I roll my head against the seat until I'm facing him. "You're never going to tell me, are you? Even if I lose my voice?"

He holds the black flask up to me. "Have the water, Hannah."

So we're back to Hannah now.

I push the flask away. "You know, I'm as stubborn as they come, if not more." I'm not going to give up so easily. After all, my biggest motto is: never give up in a fight.

He smiles and my heart jolts at the sight. "I wouldn't expect anything less."

The feeling doesn't last long. I roll my eyes. "Do you ever give a straight answer?"

"Not if I can avoid it."

Of course, he would say that. I open my mouth to protest but he stops me by pressing the rim of the flask against my lips. "Drink," he demands, his eyes piercing me to my spot, almost making me succumb and drink the water. What is he, Damon Salvatore?

Okay, I'm being ridiculous.

Grabbing the flask from his hand, I take in his self satisfied expression for a second, then grab its lid from the centre control and screw it back on.

When his eyes narrow into tight slits, I smile mischievously. "I don't drink water if I can avoid it." It was a stupid combat, but two can play at this game.

Hayden surprises me...