Chapter 64 - Still in love

IN JACKSON'S CAR

"You are still in love with him." Jackson said.

It was a statement, not a question. 

Jackson closed his eyes and focused on breathing to keep the pain away when he said it out loud, what he had suspected all along. Jimin was still in love with his ex, with J-Hope. 

Jimin looked down, not wanting to look at Jackson when he answered. 

"Yes. I am still in love with him." 

It was a relief to say it out loud. Jimin didn't know what would happen now, but he knew Jackson had to know the truth.

"But... you like me a bit, don't you?" Jackson asked, like a child needing reassurance. 

"Yes, I like you. You're a great guy, Jackson."

Jackson scoffed and chuckled unhappily.

"A great guy. Yeah. I'm a 'great guy'. That's something, I guess." 

But it's not enough. It's not enough for me. And it's not enough for you either, Jimin. 

"I am sorry. I am really, really sorry, Jackson." Jimin said, sighing.

"I managed to make you a bit happy, at least, didn't I?" Jackson asked, now turning to look at Jimin with tears in his eyes.

That's when Jimin understood Jackson was breaking up with him.

"Jackson, I've been happier than in months, thanks to you. You took my loneliness away, we had so much fun and I... I wanted so badly to fall in love with you, but..."

"I wanted that, too, Jimin. I really tried to make you love me. But I don't think you can, Jimin. You love someone else." Jackson said, tears falling down his cheeks.

"I do. Even if I don't want to. Even if he hurt me." Jimin said, looking sad.

Jackson hesitated, but then he took another deep breath and dried the tears from his eyes. 

He had made up his mind. He'd have to tell Jimin what Yena had told him that day of the family gathering.

"Jimin. Listen. There's something I need to tell you. Something that I think you should know. It's about Hoseok."

Then Jackson told Jimin about how his cousin had tricked Hoseok into the kissing incident at that restaurant, and also about how devastated and panicked Hoseok had been when Jimin ran off.

Jimin gasped and just stared at Jackson. He could hardly believe what he heard. 

His heart was racing and his body went almost numb. What had he done? He had left Hoseok for a trick, had thought Hoseok had been cheating on him when he hadn't. 

Jimin started to massage his temples, closing his eyes, trying to wrap his head around what Jackson was saying.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck." he said. 

"Yeah, I know. She's a bitch. I mean, she isn't evil, really, just a bit selfish sometimes..." Jackson said.

"But this means... Hoseok... Oh, no. I never even read his texts. I never listened to his voice mails. I didn't let him explain. Fuck, fuck, fuck." Jimin rambled on, not really listening to Jackson. 

"You should talk to him, Jimin." Jackson said slowly.

"I don't know. I really don't know. He's over me by now, for sure. It's too late. I fucked it up." Jimin said.

"Jimin, listen. The way he looked at you just now. I don't think... I don't think he's over you." Jackson said, trying to ignore the pain he felt when telling Jimin he should be with J-Hope.

Jimin just sat there staring out of the car window.

"You should go to him, Jimin. I... I just wish for you to be happy."

Finally Jimin looked at him.

"Jackson, I... I am so sorry. I'm so sorry I couldn't make you happy. I wish I could."

Jackson's eyes teared up again hearing Jimin saying those words.

"I will. I will be happy. Just not with you." Jackson said, giving Jimin a sad smile. "Do you want me to drive you home?"

"No, you don't have to. I'm fine. I'll walk. Thanks... thanks for everything, Jackson. Thanks... for liking me."

"How could I not?" Jackson said, getting out of the car to open the door for Jimin. 

Jimin took his bag in one hand, looked Jackson in the eyes, resisted the temptation to hug him one last time and just lifted his hand vaguely, before turning around walking away with a heavy heart. 

He had never felt this lost.

_______________________________

IN JIN'S CAR

"Hope? You okay?" Yoongi asked, with a worried tone. 

Hoseok was dead pale. He looked as if he'd seen a ghost. 

"Of course he's not okay, Yoongi." Jin said.

Jin turned to look at Hoseok, who just stared unseeingly ahead. 

"I... I'm fine." Hoseok managed to say, but looking nothing of the sort. 

Jin shook his head, now looking back at the road. 

"You're not fine. Don't even try, Hope, don't try to fool us." Jin said. 

Hoseok sighed and hid his face in his hands.

"Why... why... why does he have to be so fucking adorable?" Hoseok said, as if still in a kind of trance.

"Hope... this moving-on-thing, it's not working, is it?" Jin asked in a kind voice.

"It was... Until... until he looked at me." Hope said, breathless.

"You're still in love with Jimin, aren't you? You still want him." Yoongi interrupted.

Hoseok nodded his head slowly. 

"It's killing me. It's fucking killing me to see him... with someone else... with Jackson. I just want to... I don't know... hit Jackson, take Jimin and leave." Hoseok said.

"So, why don't you? It's not like you have any principles against hitting people." Yoongi commented.

Hoseok just stared at him and shook his head. 

"Jimin doesn't want me anymore, Yoongi."

"Oh, he wants you, Hope! Didn't you see the way he stared at you, for fucks sake. He couldn't take his eyes off of you!" Yoongi said.

"I agree with Yoongi on this, Hope." Jin said. 

"Stop for fucks sake! Both of you! Stop fucking saying that, he's with Jackson, don't fucking try to make me start hoping again! Jimin's taken and I need a fucking drink." Hoseok almost yelled at them.

"Okay, Hope." Jin said.

"Let's go to a bar. That's better than you sitting on your sofa by yourself drinking whiskey." Yoongi mumbled.

"Fine. I'm out of whiskey anyway." Hoseok said.

__________________________________________