Chapter 24

This chapter will be broken up into different perspectives, so any time there's a line, expect a switch!

Wednesday, September 1st - King's Cross Station

You would think that after so many years of practice, the Weasley's would have the mornings of September 1st down to the tee. Yet somehow, the last first day of school for the last of the Weasleys was no better organized than the first of them. Nonetheless, they made it onto Platform 9 ¾ with approximately twenty minutes to spare (quite good for the family), with Ginny's trunk, parents, brothers, and Harry in tow.

"There you are!" Somehow, Hermione's nervous cry was heard above the noisy din of tearful goodbye's and warm hello's filling the platform. "Come on, we should be in the Prefect Compartment!" She grabbed onto Ginny's wrist, but the redhead quickly shook her off and rolled her eyes.

"Hello to you too, Hermione. And hold your hippogriffs, we have plenty of time." Ginny turned back to her parents while Hermione waited impatiently behind her, tapping her foot with her arms crossed.

"Oh, goodbye dear!" her mum cried, a few tears already escaping her blue eyes. She pulled her only daughter into a warm, yet bone-crushing hug, and didn't seem to want to let go.

"Bye, Mum," Ginny whispered into her curly red hair. Her own eyes stung at the corners, but she bit back any tears. She was Head Girl and Quidditch Captain, she could not be seen crying before she even got to school. 

Get a grip! She thought to herself. It's not like you won't seem again. It's not like last time.

"Be good and make sure to write," Mrs. Weasley commanded sternly as she held Ginny at an arm's length.

"I will. Promise."

Mrs. Weasley nodded before pulling her into a second hug. "And I'm so, so proud of you, sweetheart. Of everything."

"Thanks, Mum," she whispered back and felt a glow erupt in her chest. She smiled at her mother, memorizing her face until Christmas, and leaned in to give her a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Bye, Dad," Ginny said to the next Weasley in line. She promised to write, to be good, to work hard, and hugged him tightly before moving down to George.

"See ya, sis," he said lightly.

"See ya, George." They both stared at each other, not really sure what to say. Suddenly, Ginny stepped close to him and hugged him. Her head rested against his chest and she felt his chin fall on the top of her head.

"Love you, Gin."

"Love you too, George." When she stepped back, she met his gaze and saw a lackluster smile that never met his eyes, and an empty look upon his face. "Hang in there. And I'll be back at Christmas." 

He nodded and took a shaky breath, refusing to take his eyes off of her. "Stir up some trouble for us, yeah?"

"Naturally." He nodded again, this time with the shadow of a real smile, and Ginny moved on to Ron.

"Bye Ron!" Ginny called, slightly louder than the others to stir him out of a conversation that he was in the middle of with Harry.

"Oh, bye," he said, rather flatly.

"Wow. That was so heartfelt, thank you." She cocked an eyebrow at him with a smile. He shrugged and somewhat begrudgingly pulled her in for a hug.

"You know I'll see you in a few weeks, right?"

"Yeah, I know." Finally, she reached the end of the line. "See you on the train, right Professor Potter?" Harry's eyes snapped into focus.

"What? Oh, right, yeah." She furrowed her eyebrows at his lack of protest to what she called him, but decided not to push it. He'd tell her if he wanted to. Besides, another second longer and she was sure Hermione would implode. With immense satisfaction at finally being old enough to do magic, she pulled out her wand and levitated the trunk in front of her.