chapter twenty one

After Charlie had left, I decided to take a bath. Maybe the hot water would calm me down a little.

I let the hot water fall all over my body. I felt my body instantly relax. I didn't even realise how tensed up I had been.

It was really hard to try and keep the tears from pouring out in the shower. I was trying to force myself not to think about the conversation Charlie and I had just had, but it was impossible.

My brain retraced every step taken, every word that was said, trying to find a practical reason for why he had been acting the way he was.

If he wanted me like he said, then why was he with Sophia?

Was he with her the entire time? If he was, that was an entirely different issue to tackle. But then why would he say she meant nothing to him?

I was so furious with Charlie for leaving me this confused, but I was even more furious with myself.

How had I allowed someone to take so much control over my decisions? My plan was so succinct. I hadn't even allowed myself extra time to have fun let alone even think about having a boy in my life. And then Charlie walked into the hotel and into my life. Maybe I let myself think something could happen because of my crush on him from the show. But then why would I ever think he would drop everything for a small town girl like myself?

I was just another girl he met on vacation, I said to myself. I tried to convince myself that was true. If I wanted to get through this trip and back to Hawaii without causing any more damage to my heart, I had to remind myself that Charlie and I could never happen.

He was a distraction to me, and I was a prop in one of his games he thought we were playing. "Shit," I whispered to myself. I almost laughed at how pathetic that sounded. How could I have been so naive?

As I stepped out of the shower, I wrapped the robe over my body, tying it tightly around my body. I turned to the mirror and began to brush my hair.

What was I going to do for the rest of the trip?

I didn't want to leave the room. I couldn't barely look at myself in the mirror. My face was bruised and busted. It was not a pretty sight. I definitely did not want anyone asking me questions or feeling any pity for me. I couldn't handle that. But... I couldn't let this get in the way of Sawyers trip. It was technically her bachelorette party.

I put the brush down and took a deep breath.

Just a few more days.

A few more days and then we could get back to our normal routine in Hawaii.

I left the bathroom and started looking for my phone. I wanted to tell Owen to take care of Sawyer and Ava, just for today. I just needed my space for the day and I knew if they had it their way, they would stay with me all day. And ask me questions... and I honestly just couldn't deal with that right now.

"Hello?" I spoke into the phone.

"Lake? Is everything okay?" Owen asked frantically.

"I'm fine. I just need a small favor. Do you mind if you could keep Ava and Sawyer entertained for the day? I'm not ready to be bombarded with questions. I just need-"

"Say no more," he said, cutting me off. "We're on set filming, but I'll let Jeremy call Carolynn. I think Madison finished for the day. You know what? Leave the details to me. Just send me their numbers. Don't worry about anything."

I let out a sigh of relief. Thank you God for Owen!

I hung up and immediately sent him their numbers.