14. Early Bird Gets More Money

Back To Earlier That Day...
(Conrad P.O.V)

“So you gonna tell me what you need the extra money for?”

Conrad set down the soapy dishes he was washing and turned to see Ricky coming in through the swinging employee door.

Ricky crossed his arms as he leaned against the sink he was at, staring down at Conrad. While looking refreshed and nicely groomed.

Must’ve been a good payday last night.

Ricky shrugged,” I don’t know why else you’d ask for some damn extra hours. Especially in the morn”, he said looking at him curiously.

“You know we don’t got no costumers at this time except for them people who paid me good to let them sleep here for the night because their asses were too drunk to call a taxi. All we got going on is some maintenance prep”, Ricky stated looking around the kitchen.

Conrad nodded throwing off his cleaning gloves without saying a word.

He didn’t know how it would come across.

Ricky clicked his tongue in impatience.

Conrad sighed and finally looked over at him,” Actually I wanted to ask if uhh- if I can get myy two weeks pay a bit early”.

Ricky stood up raising a brow, “You want ME to pay YOU in advance?”

Conrad scratched his head, “Yes, Sir”.

He nodded,” You’re gonna have to tell me what for. If not, you ain’t gonna get it”.

Sucking in his teeth Conrad stayed quiet, taking his time. He turned to the side of the sink and took an apron hanging on a hook beside it, slipping it on.

Ricky walked up to him blocking his view. He bobbed his head up, looking down on him.

“Hell with it, boi. For all I know you owe some drug dealer money and I’m paying like a sugar daddy”.

Conrad groaned smacking the dirty dishtowel on his shoulder against his thigh,”You know it’s nothing like that Rick”.

The old man hooted,” Well??”

Shaking his head, Conrad finally answered him,” We’re just a little behind on a couple of bills Rick”, he sighed.

Ricky yanked the towel away from Conrad,” Shit kid! I told you to step helping your ma and let her handle her own damn mess”, he cursed shaking him by the shoulder. Trying to knock some sense into him.

Conrad shrugged him off,” She’s my MOM Ricky”, he said softly.

Ricky lowered his voice,” I know it’s none of my damn business but-”.

Jerking past him Conrad chuckled,” Your right it’s not Ricky!”, he told him.

Ricky looked down at his hands not coming closer, “That women take from you and drinks it away. When she’s finished with her own damn money she takes yours-.”

He looks up with pitiful eyes, his anger boiling, “- All just to mourn and hallucinate over someone who’s already dead! For fuck sakes kid! Her own son has to fucking hide money to take care of both of them!!” Ricky yells.

Clenching his jaw Conrad looks at him.

He knew this Ol’ man meant good. But-telling Ricky was his mistake. He gave him an excuse to talk bad about his mom. No matter if what he said about her was true. It didn’t make the humiliation hurt any less. 

Fidgeting, Conrad cupped his hands, noticing he slipped his hands in his back pockets of his jeans. “Look Rick- I’m fine”, (He’d always be fine) he sighed for the tenth time.

“Okay? I-I gotta go and clean some tables out there. You know since it’s a part of the job”, he said motioning to his apron and turned away to the swinging door. 

“Conrad.”

With his hand on the door, he paused. He waited tensely.

“I’m sorry. I worry about you. I know I’m not your pa but I try to treat you like I would as if you were my family. I you want two weeks pay in advance. Alright. I’ll give it to you. No more questions asked. Not as pity. As your boss. Because I trust you. As an underage kid more then the rest. Good luck boy”, Ricky said to his back.

Conrad swallowed and walked out

------------------------------------------------------

A Shift Later…

Yanking open the trunk door, Conrad threw in his bag. Turning on his the car with an old purr.

“Rad!”

Conrad turned hearing his name. He slipped his head out the door. It was his coworker. The guy waved at him, running to catch up before Conrad made to leave.

He slipped out of the truck.

“Hey. What’s up?”, Conrad asked looking over at him.

His older coworker flapped a paper in his wrist, “This is for you”, he said giving it to him.

Conrad took it. It was an envelope. “What’s this?”

The guy shrugged looking down at it too.

Conrad opened it. Slipping out a thinner paper, almost the size of a bill. Conrad froze. It was a check. The exact balance the same amount f a two-week pay.

His coworker patted his shoulder, “Man, ain’t you lucky”.

Conrad looked up at him,” Ricky gave this to you”.

He nodded,” Sure did”.

“You know why he didn’t give it to me himself”, Conrad asked.

The guy shook his head, “No just told me to give it to you before you left”.

“Huh”, Conrad said. “Uhm ok, I gotta go, man, thanks”, he said holding up the envelope.