The next hour consisted of baking, learning how to measure properly, and getting to know each other. We decided it was best if we all did our own trey to make a small competition and appease each other's intake on how sweet they wanted it. Their bickering between sibling rivalry to make the best brownies and sabotaging one another when the other wasn't looking. Nicolai had come to give me a rather murderous look as he passed, but when Anastasia called to him, his eyes would soften just slightly before ducking away. As we sat, waiting for the brownies to finish cooling in their state of the art looking quick freeze fridge, Aleksei nodded at me.

"Dove, now it's your turn," Aleksei pointed out.

I took a pause, trying to think of a question. I had finally started to get more use to talking without needing permission. I hummed, swinging my legs as I twirled my finger around my hair. My hands started to finally stop aching now, which meant it was only a matter of time before I could unwrap it without the ointment Anastasia had been applying for me. "Okay, what's your favorite type of flowers?"

"Flower?" he asked with a frown.

"Yeah," I gave a curt nod. "My favorite are hydrangeas."

"Would it be basic if I said roses?" Anastasia asked with a laugh.

"You enjoy planting and gardening, Dove?" he questioned as Anastasia jumped out of her seat when the buzzer went off on her phone. She placed on a pair of red mittens with a squeal, excited about the three batches of brownies that was just about finished as I turned my attention back to him with a nod.

"My mother loved flowers, and I did as well, alongside reading and playing board games like Othello and Chess as well."

"Hey, Gedeon loves playing chess as well," he said in amusement and stared at the ceiling in thought for a moment before his eyes widened and sparkled. He whipped his head back to me and stared at me, agape. "Do you think you can beat him at chess? Because we would all love to rub it in his damn face if you're really good."

At that, I shrugged. "I'm not too sure. I haven't played in a while."

"Now I'm curious, we got an extra chessboard lying down here?" he looked around the kitchen as if every room in this giant estate had one lying around. Anastasia snorted at his question as she placed the last trey onto the counter with a small thump.

"No, Nicolai got mad and broke the whole board in half," she rolled her eyes, throwing the mittens onto the table with a huff before she gestured to the three treys. Both of us got off the kitchen stools as she placed her hands onto her hips, proud. "There you have it, brownies. I already knew Aleksei and mine would taste like crap because we've been sabotaging each other's."

He laughed as he held up his hands. "How you know that?"

"You may be a great bodyguard, but you suck at being sneaky, especially when it comes to your sister," she stuck out her tongue before cutting a slice of brownie and gives one for him. I stared in silent as they took a bite, hoping it wouldn't be too bad for my first time making anything. Both of them stopped chewing midway as Aleksei cocked an eyebrow up at me.

"Wait, why does your brownies taste like expresso and have dark chocolate?"

I swallowed, staring at the brownies in front of me as I rubbed the back of my neck. "I saw the expresso powder on the side and decided to make add half a cup in there, because you said Gedeon don't like sweets, while you were both trying to sabotage one another. I hope that's okay."

"You made it for him?" Anastasia asked, as if in shock that I would go out of my way to make something for Gedeon. "Really?"

"Yes, I thought you hinted it too? Am I wrong?" I shuffled from one foot to the next, hoping it wouldn't upset them. I bit my lips, staring at the floor. "Because of your traditions, I don't want to disrespect it."