A Friendly Push

"This tastes good." Kakashi remarked, taking another bite of his food.

"Of course it does! My Mai is a fantastic cook, last week she made some delicious dumplings!" Gai boasted with a big grin.

"Say..." Kakashi narrowed his eyes when Gai regarded him with a goofy expression while wiggling his brows. "Speaking of Mai, she tells me that you've been spending an awful lot of time with a certain blonde?"

Gai laughed loudly at the glare Kakashi gave him. "No need to give me such a look, my friend! I must say I am very happy to finally hear that you are dating!"

"We are not dating, we're just friends." Kakashi answered coolly.

Gai shook his head in disbelief. "I trust my Mai and she says you have been sneaking out of the office more often than usual. She also says you come back happier than when you left and you smell like perfume." He smirked, Kakashi probably hadn't even noticed.

Kakashi took another bite of his food before replying. "I ran into her a few times outside of the office, that's all."

Gai leaned forward on the dining table and rested his head on his hand with a dreamy look on his face. "The love of a woman truly makes one feel youthful again, my friend."

Kakashi rolled his eyes. Everytime he came over for their weekly lunches, Gai would start monologuing about how much he loved Mai and how much she had changed him. Kakashi hated these moments because, not that he wanted to admit, it made him jealous that his friends had girlfriends and wives that they adored. Listening to Gai talk about all the little things that Mai did for him that made him love her made Kakashi's heart clench. Although, he didn't have it in him to tell Gai that their talks bothered him because it wasn't fair to let his own issues get in the way of his friend's happiness. Instead, he had developed a fine ability to pretend as if he was listening and still respond at the right times.

His name being said in a firm tone was what brought him out of his thoughts. He brought his eyes back to Gai who regarded him with a serious expression.

"Kakashi...we have been comrades for a long time and friends for even longer. As your friend, all I want is for you to be happy. Mai...she has helped me through a lot of my mental battles, she supported me and loved me through all my flaws." He said, gesturing to the wheelchair that stood beside him.

"I know you have many battles of your own and you shouldn't have to fight those alone." Gai sighed. "What I'm trying to say is give this new relationship a try. I know you're not just 'friends,' but you're also not seeing each other. If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out, no big deal. What do you say?"

To say Kakashi was surprised would be an understatement. He has known Gai for a long time, and this behaviour of his was unexpected. Of course, he had his wise moments but they were far and few in between. However, Kakashi knew how serious and genuine Gai was being with his words.

Kakashi contemplated quietly to himself. It had been years since he dated anyone and for good reason too. The last girl he went on a date with turned out to be a psychopath to put it nicely. He ended up taking a mission that lasted several months just so he could avoid her. Thankfully, her obsession with him had been directed to another...that poor soul. He couldn't see that situation happening with Mizuki, she was too calm and level headed for that kind of behaviour.

The more time he spent with her, the more he enjoyed her company and the more he wanted to know about her. She had this way about her that made him feel at peace and not in a constant war with his thoughts. That day when she showed up at the memorial stone was a surprise to him. He thought she was going to be like everyone else in the village and offer him a shoulder to cry on or a person to talk to. He didn't want any of that and he had a feeling she knew that. All throughout their lunch she hadn't asked about his past or if he was okay. She just talked to him about anything else and it felt nice.