ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 45

THE COVEN COMES BEFORE FAMILY. Those were the words her father had lived by all her life. It was one of the main reasons she ran from him, his stern teachings, and their coven. Dr. Josette Laughlin was the name she took for herself now. After surviving an attempt of murder by her own twin and helping her father by going behind said twins back and trapping him in an alternate plane of existence that supernaturally repeats, she left that life, her family, and her Parker name behind.

But that doesn't mean Jo could forget about it. Everyday she had to lie -about herself, about being Josette Parker, about being a witch who relinquished her family magic. The trauma never really left her, either. How could she, when she lived with the very thing that could destroy her life —the ascendant—the key to getting her twin, Kai out? She thought with her in control, she would be safe.

But now, it was gone, missing.

After a panic attack or two, she deemed she just misplaced it. Jo hoped that would be it, she did, and she tore her whole house apart, searching for the piece of metal. But she couldn't find it anywhere, nor can she file a police complaint. How can she, when just saying, The magical key to a parallel world that holds my twin a prisoner went missing from my home, please find it, sounded absolutely ridiculous?

And the worst part of all is, she didn't even know when it went missing.

As a twenty-two-year-old girl, Jo always used to keep the ascendant close to her. She would sleep with it, guarding it beneath her pillow. But as Jo grew older, with therapy, now at 38, Jo feared her twin, less. She started keeping it in her underwear drawer, checking it only occasionally, for some peace of mind when she wants some assurance after a nightmare. But apparently, it was a mistake. And now it's gone, and it was all her fault.it

After a few weeks, she decided she should inform someone about it. Her father —no matter how angry he might be for her carelessness, should know about it. He is the only one that could have a possible solution for this predicament. Joshua Parker might kill his own daughter to stop Kai from merging with her when her twin ever comes out of the prison world, or if he was already out. But without her own magic and a coven backing her, Josette would die either way if faced with Kai. So, she did what she thought was right.

And with that idea in mind, she picked up her phone and called her dad.

★ ➷ 。• ☆

She felt as if she was missing something important... It's probably her paranoia speaking. But if Katherine is confident about anything, it's that her instincts have never proved her wrong.

Katherine was sure she has everything prepared to get Kai out of the prison world. She's got the ascendant, the spell, Bennett's blood, and the witches to perform it. The plan was also fairly simple. Get to the prison world, get Kai, make a deal with the probably-potentially backstabbing sociopath, and get out with him.