ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 29

"KURTS' OKAY, I GUESS...bit silent, though. Jerick is a one, really, paranoid dude. Oliver's like a typical high school jock with blonde hair and green eyes. The guy loves to flirt," said Katherine, showing the pictures on her mobile. Apparently, Hayley's ears were still sensitive after the transformation, so the werewolf decided to skip the video for later.

"Who's that?" Hayley asked, looking at one particular photo of a guy. The Laboniar wolf was sitting on the bed, cross-legged, beside Katherine.

"Ah! That hot guy in the desperate need of a haircut is the Alpha, Jackson Kenner," Katherine said, "Apparently, the poor guy is supposed to be your husband."

"Excuse me," Hayley sputtered.

"Yup, you guys were betrothed when you were young. Your parents wanted to make an alliance between your two packs, but things didn't happen that way," Katherine said, highly entertained by Hayley's expressions.

"You are kidding, right?" The werewolf asked with narrowed eyes.

"Nope. Jackson told me so himself. He also asked me to pass on a message to you," Katherine said, rolling her eyes at the cheesy dialogue she is about to repeat. "It might be a little different, but I am gonna state the gist of it," said the vampire, clearing her throat, trying to imitate Jackson's voice and failing miserably, "Tell Hayley that she will always have a family with me. I will be by her side until the end. Tell her the pack will forever be grateful for what she is doing."

"Please tell me his voice doesn't sound like that," begged a desperate Hayley, making Katherine scowl.

"Whatever," The vampire huffed, "I think he is lucky enough to dodge the bullet. Oh! The life he would've led by marrying you," Katherine said, shaking her head in sympathy.

"Hey! What's wrong with me?" Hayley shouted unamused.

"Where the fuck should I start..." Katherine began with a sigh. However, she couldn't complete the monologue when her phone rang. The vampire frowned, taking the phone from Hayley's hands.

"Hey, Caroline?" She greeted the blonde on the other side. Yet, when the newbie vampire talked, Katherine could make out a word.

"Care," Katherine said slowly, pausing the rambling for a second. "I can't understand you. Breath, and talk a little slowly, okay." And that's when she heard a sniffle.

"I...I..." Caroline said, but as soon as she began to say something, the words muffled and turned into crying.

"Hey. What happened? Why are you crying, Caroline?" The Petrova doppelganger asked, puzzled. Did her dad perhaps kidnapped and tortured her. But it shouldn't have happened at this point. Did the timeline for this shift, along with others?