ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 48

"I DON'T TRUST HIM," Kol told me with conviction

I made a noise of acknowledgment in the back of my throat. Kai is untrustworthy by nature. Volatile and unpredictable, someone you should never turn your back to. I have known this since day one. But I also figured that Kai Parker is an easy option compared to working with a whole coven of heretics psychos who would try to resurrect a douchebag called Julian, which later follows with a lengthy and pointless arc about Rayna Cruz, the mindless killing machine.

"You said there is an 82 percent of chance he will ditch us on his way out, right?" Kol whispered again from behind, right next to my ears.

I hummed lowly, my eyes still on the homicidal maniac who languidly sat before us on the soft couch with chocolate-covered fingers and a carefree grin on his face. He raided the pantry and stole my candy stash without a lick of shame. I would've forgiven him if he had stopped there, but no, the bitch had to go and take my ice cream as well.

"Frankly, Kol, looking at him now, I am willing to make it a 100," I said, narrowing my eyes at the thief. "He will definitely screw us over once he gets his hands on the headstone." I folded my arms and my forehead creased in deep thought. "By the way, I have been thinking—" I turned a little to face Kol, only to stumble back when I saw how close his face was to mine.

Kol raised his eyebrow in question, and I just waved it off, muttering, "Sorry, instinct."

"You were saying—"

"Right," I licked my lips and tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear, remembering what I was on about. "Your brothers gave me this gold bracelet," I said, holding out my wrist for the Original to see, "It's during the ball— in case your mother curses or hexes me, you know, for helping you lot," I retold the story to Kol. "Anyways, I have been wearing it ever since, you know, for situations like this. But, it didn't do shit when Joshua parker cursed us," I voiced out my doubts. "Is this even effective? Or was I just played by Klaus?"

Kol took my hand into his callous ones and looked at the runes etched on the bracelet intently, "So, this is what my brothers were up to," he muttered to himself.

"Huh?"

"Nik and 'Lijah came to me asking for the runes and spell required to prepare this just a day before the ball my mother threw," Kol explained, letting go of my hand. "It is effective, darling," he assured me. "But only against the bloodline of witches, it is connected to. In your case, no Mikaelson Witch can do you harm as Klaus gave the blood. But since there is no alive witch with our DNA now, it's an absolute waste. You might as well dump it down a drain."

Well, that's not correct. Sure there is no way for Momma original to come back from the dead, now that she died as a vampire. But that won't be the case with Crazy Aunt Dahlia and sleeping beauty Freya. And since Kol said DNA, I am sure Dahlia comes under the same category as an aunt and nephew kinda share at least 25% DNA on average. So, I quickly clasped my hands behind my back before Kol could take it away by himself and received a look from the Original at my response in the process.