ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 53

KATHERINE IS SPRAWLED IN AN OVERSTUFFED RED ARMCHAIR by the empty fireplace

KATHERINE IS SPRAWLED IN AN OVERSTUFFED RED ARMCHAIR by the empty fireplace. She had a book in her hand with her dark head bent over it. On the opposite futon was Jeremy Gilbert, his long legs dangling over the side, the controller for the Xbox in his hand.

"Don't try to fight with me on this, Stefan," The girl says, not even looking up at him. "The Empire Strikes Back is the best of the trilogy. Even little Gilbert knows that—" As on cue, Jeremy nods his head, though his gaze never flickers from the screen. "Besides, Ewoks are stupid."

"Hey," This time, however, both boys protest in offense, earning an eye roll from the older vampire. "Ewoks are iconic."

With a huff, Katherine drops the book into her lap before turning her attention to the two grown men in the house, who are fighting for the rights of cannibal teddy bears. "Oh, come on. You are telling me teddy bears have the ability to be one of the major allies for the rebel alliance. But seriously though... if the character design is something like a half-human and half-lion alien, I would've at least tried to believe them to be formidable."

"Fine, but we still get a happy ending at the end," Stefan huffs out the tiniest, most poshly indignant puff of air, not ready to give up on the losing battle of which is the best installment of the Star Wars series. "So that calls for a win."

"Well, Empire's got Han and Leia confessing their feelings for each other, and you get to meet Yoda. Battle on Hoth. And let's not forget the best twist in cinematic history," Katherine lists off. Suddenly her voice raises an octave as she tries to do her best impression of Darth Vader. "I ... am your father."

"No, that's not true," Jeremy shakes his head overdramatically in anguish. "That's impossible."

And then all three were laughing openly like the nerds they are. Suddenly, there's a slight sound of clearing a throat, and their heads snap towards the entrance. "Did I come at the wrong time?" It was Rebekah, one of her penciled eyebrows was in the air, and a flicker of a smile ghosted across her face as she settled her sights on all three of them.

Although the original vampire seemed confused by what she had heard just a second before — and Katherine hardly doubted Rebekah caught up on Star Wars to understand the head and tail of their conversation — somehow, that thought brought the younger vampire a great deal of psychotic satisfaction.

"Oh, hey!" Stefan was the first to move forward from his place on the couch to greet her with a hug. "I didn't know you were coming," he briefly turns back to look at his friend, clearly asking if he had forgotten about a scheduled date. So when Katherine shakes her head in return, almost imperceptibly, she sees the tension in his shoulders visibly receding. He turns back to flash his smile at the Original Sister, now more self-assured. "We were debating on the greatest Star Wars movie of all time. But I think I am losing, though. Jeremy won't side with me."