Chapter Six

"So I heard you met Lori Peters at lunch," Freckles said as we headed out of school.
I groaned, "Oh my god, don't even start. This is gonna be a continuous, daily thing now, right?"
"I hope not. Even if it is, she gets bored of us after a week or two. Then moves onto someone else. Like a cat after a mouse," he explained.
I chuckled, "well, there's my mom. I'll see you later?"
"Nooo! Please walk with me. I want you to meet someone," he begged.
"Fine. Hold on a second,"
I asked my mom, she said yes and let me walk home with Cameron. We've only known each other for a few days, but I think we've gotten a little closer.

"Who am I meeting?" I asked as we walked onto our road.
"Don't worry, we're here now," he knocked on the door. It was one of our neighbors, but I hadn't actually gone to introduce myself to anyone yet.
The door clicked and a short woman, probably in her seventies, opened it.
"Mrs Ackerman!" Cameron grinned, giving her a hug.
"Heya, sweetie! Come on in," She took us inside and gestured for us to sit down on the couch with her. "So, Cameron, is this your new girlfriend?" She had a thick, southern accent.
He laughed, I looked at my feet and turned beet red. "No, we're just friends. Levanah Green, this is Mrs Ackerman. Mrs Ackerman, this is Levanah. But call her Lee or she'll get mad,"
I smiled and shook Mrs Ackerman's hand, "It's great to meet you,"
"Ah, I remember you! You two were the best of friends, it was adorable!"
I awkwardly nodded, I must've made it obvious that I had no idea what she was talking about because she looked over at Freckles and whispered something.
"Well, even if you can't remember it, honey, that bond will always be there. It might just take a while to come back to you. After all, there's a lot of magic between you two, ain't no denyin' that. And magic makes forgettin' hard,"
There was a long silence after that, it was weird, but not all awkward.
"Okay, we've got homework to do. Thanks again for your words of wisdom, Mrs Ackerman," Cameron said as we headed towards the door.
She waved, "Alright, kids. It was nice seeing you again,"
We waved and then stepped outside.
"Words of wisdom?" I laughed.
"That's what they were," he laughed too.
I placed my hand on the door handle as he jogged across the street to his house, "I'll see you tomorrow. Good luck with the biology,"
He yelled back, "Good luck with the Spanish,"
"¡Hasta luego!" We laughed once more and then went inside our homes.
My mom was making some pizza or something and she stopped and stared at me, "you took long enough,"
I sat at the table, "Freckles took me to meet a neighbor, Mrs Ackerman,"
"Ah, great! So, how was your day at school?"