Chapter One

I've moved to 4 different schools around California in the past 2 years because of bullies. They always find something: my hair, my size, clothes, everything to them is a flaw. So basically I've lived in 4 different parts of LA; mom said we used to live in Sherman Oaks when I was a kid, then she got a better job so we moved to Malibu, then to Santa Monica, up to Pasadena and now we're back in Sherman Oaks. Mom told me that we left when I was 11 but I grew up here before. I don't know why but I can't remember anything from the Sherman Oak days: what it looks like, where I lived, anything. Although, my childhood isn't something I would chose to re-visit, I've changed and I'm happy with the way I am now.

***

"Okay, we're here!" Mom said cheerfully as she parked in our new drive. I opened the door and stepped out into the sunshine. After 37 minutes of being stuck in between boxes, it felt good to stretch out.

I stared at my home: the red bricks, roof tiles and palm trees out front reminded me of Malibu. "So, this is where we used to live?"

"Yeah. This is where you grew up," mom smiled as we walked in with the boxes of kitchen utensils and other little things. The house was big, one of the largest we've had.

Mom started unpacking in the kitchen, "do you like the furniture? My friend Val replaced the old stuff with something more modern,"

"Its cool," I said. Honestly, it was nice. I just prayed that her friend knew what I like for my room. When mom went to check out the back yard, I ran upstairs and looked in all the rooms. At the end of the hallway was my room. It had white walls with my favorite Pierce The Veil quote 'darling, you'll be okay,' in black on the wall. My bed covers were black and there was a desk with a laptop on in the corner.

I ran back downstairs and hugged mom, "my room is amazing!"

"Thank God! I was so worried that you wouldn't like it!" She sighed and let go of me. "Pizza will be here in an hour. Remember you have school tomorrow so don't be up too late,"

I smiled, "okay, mom. I'll be in my room,"

***

For the hour I was waiting for my pizza, I sat on my computer scrolling through tumblr and posting new stuff on my blog.

"Lee! Pizza's here!" Mom yelled and I turned off my computer and ran downstairs. She had placed 2 slices on my plate along with salad and ketchup on the side.

We ate in silence until mom broke the awkwardness, "5th time lucky, right? I bet you'll be fine at this school,"

I put my knife and fork on my plate and put them in the dishwasher, "Doubt it. No one understands me, mom. No one ever will,"

She frowned as I trudged upstairs to take a shower and get my stuff ready for the next day.

When I was lying in bed, I imagined a school where everyone did understand me. A school where everyone was accepted for who they are and not who others want them to be. Not one of the places I've lived in has been like that. And it'll be the same here too...