Chapter 1

She rushed through the thick forest in the hot, humid air, pushing through the low branches so she could keep a clear view of the light that was shining thought the leaves. She couldn't help but laugh because she was having so much fun!

The boy behind her laughed as well as he watched his clumsy best friend trip over her own feet in this tropical forest.

Their hearts were racing, sweat plopped off of their round, childish faces in bucketfuls, their breaths were short and fast. The girl saw the light getting closer as she stumbled on. She was so excited because she was finally going to win the race! But what she didn't know was that the boy was giving it up for her. He really wanted her to win, who knows when the last time he'll see her is.

In a rush to claim her title, the little girl vacuumed up a deep breath of air and pushed herself faster and faster until she finally broke through the vivid green leaves.

"I won! I won!" she cheered in glee as she jumped up and down. The little boy smiled and sat down panting as the girl continued her winning applaud.

"Yay! You won!" the boy also cheered once he had caught at least some of his breaths. But he soon averted his gaze, his smile gone.

"Huh?" the girl stopped as soon as she heard the glum is his tone. She plopped herself down on the sand next to the boy. He turned to her with a fake smile. "Ritsuka? What's wrong?" she asked, worried.

Ritsuka looked away. He didn't want to tell her he was sad. Not on the last day. So he sucked up his emotions, smiled again, and shook his head. "Nothing's wrong, Ami. Why-"

Ami couldn't help it, she had to hug Ritsuka. He always thought of her before himself. Ritsuka blushed as she playfully rubbed their foreheads together and laughed.

"You know you're my best friend, right Ritsuka?" Ami stopped, but left her forehead on his. Ritsuka's smile vanished at that statement. He knew that no one on the island liked Ami for whatever reason and that's why she and her family are moving away to the big country. He turned away from her eyes to the grains of sand on the beach.

Ami's emotions ran wild at that moment. She was sad and mad, annoyed and curious all at the same time. Why didn't anyone like her? Why doesn't the daycare lady like her? Why don't the other kids in the daycare or her neighbors or anyone like her? Why? Ritsuka was nowhere near surprised when he started hearing soft cries in his ear and warm tears running down the side of his face.

"Why...don't...they...like me?" she asked between sobs. "You...like me... Right, Ritsuka? Why can't...they?"

Ritsuka couldn't answer because he didn't know why, either. He just knows that no one liked the little girl that was crying on his lap for the last time. He himself was already out of tears, but he still comforted her. Ritsuka knows that he's the only friend that Ami has and now she'll have to be alone again.

"You won't forget me, will you?" he asked as soon as she stopped crying. He looked down at her red hair and tightened his hug around her. She shook her head, her teary face wetting his. Ritsuka never thought that he'd have to lose someone like her. Someone he could call his best friend and truly mean it. Someone he felt so close to. What was so wrong with Ami that made this whole village-island dislike her, neither of the two kids knew. All they know is that it's going to break them apart.

Ritsuka sighed and laid his cheek on top of her head, facing the tropical sun. Ami smiled and kissed the cheek that was using her head as a pillow. The little boy blushed and turned back to face her.

"I love you, Ritsuka!" Ami smiled at her best friend, her round face glowing in the mid-morning sun. Its bright rays bounced off of her hair perfectly making her look like a sea angel.