23.

She only got about an hour of sleep

She only got about an hour of sleep. She could not sleep, not even after he fell asleep and all she heard was his steady heartbeat along with his soft snores. She could not sleep, at least not when she knew what was going to happen the next day.

Olivia felt like she had only been asleep for a minute when Paul's phone rang, Sam calling to let him know that they had an hour to get to Emily's and eat breakfast before the pack had to leave. Only Seth would not be there, as he had already gone to the mountain to meet Jacob.

Within minutes, she and Paul got up from the bed and got ready, Olivia taking a quick shower and tying her hair up into a messy bun, throwing on leggings and a hoodie. Paul also got ready, getting out some of the fresh clothes that he kept at Olivia's, and throwing on his shoes.

They then walked to Emily's, hand in hand, both quiet. Paul knew that Olivia was nervous, but he knew that words would only make her more anxious, so he settled for squeezing her hand, rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand.

They walked through the door of the Young-Uley household and were surprised, as the home, for once was silent. Emily looked up from the stove at the sound of the door opening, giving the couple a forced smile and motioning to the table, where everyone else was.

The mood was somber, Emily and Sam muttering to each other in the kitchen, Sam clearly comforting her, while Embry and Leah ate silently at the table, both stoic. Quil was looking at Claire as she ate, Claire's eyes rimmed with red, as she had clearly been crying. Kim was sniffling every few minutes, Jared rubbing her back and whispering sweet nothings into her ear.

Paul and Olivia joined the table, Olivia looking down at her empty plate and slowly reaching for a muffin and two pieces of bacon, picking at her food. Paul, although nervous, still ate as much as usual, scoffing down multiple pieces of bacon and looking to Olivia in comcern.

Emily and Sam finally went to sit at the table, Leah standing before they could even sit, and taking her plate to the living room, wanting to eat alone. Sam cleared his throat, everyone turning to him.

"Guys, I know this is a rough and scary day for everyone, especially the girls. You guys won't be as busy as we will, and I know it's hard for you girls. But you have to trust us when we say that we will come back. I may not be the best leader, but I am confident in our abilities and our connection as a strong pack overall. So, when we leave in a few minutes, I know that everything will be okay."

Sam pulled Emily into his side. "And this will all be over before you know it, once and for all."

Emily finally smiled slightly, shoving at her fiancé's chest. "Okay, Mufasa, that's enough. Guys, I wish you luck."

A chorus of 'Thanks Emily' was heard, the tension in the room lifting. They ate as though nothing was happening, even sharing a few laughs. Then, Sam glanced at the clock and the bubble of denial was popped, the man's face falling as he realized what came next.

Everyone stood to say their goodbyes and prepare, the couples going to private spots. In the corner of the room, Paul and Olivia linked both hands, Olivia's bottom lip trembling.

"It'll all be okay, Livs, you heard what Sam said." Paul framed her jaw in his hand, rubbing over the apple of her cheek. "We'll come back."

"And if--if you--" Paul cut Olivia off, pecking her lips.

"We will. I will." He promised, pulling her into his chest. Olivia buried her head in the crook of his neck, breathing in his comforting scent as he kissed her head.

She memorized the moment, and most importantly, how it felt to be held in his strong, warm embrace, with his cologne beginning to mask her perfume. The way her skin seemed to ignite when he touched her and how she loved him. And she put all that into believing that he would come back and they would embrace again.

They kissed, passionate and deep, as if it were the last kiss they would share. It did feel like it, especially when Sam called Paul's name and they had to pull apart. Paul gave Olivia one last smile, Oliva attempting to return it, but grimacing instead.

"Good luck." She managed out, right as his fingers began to untangle with hers.

"I love you, Angel."

"I love you, too." She whispered, watching as the pack ran out the door and hearing them howl only moments later.

The girls were all silent for a moment, before a sob escaped Kim's lips, Kim falling to her knees. Olivia went to comfort her, wrapping her arms around the brunette and Kim holding Olivia as well, Olivia holding back her tears.

Claire slipped away to the upstairs guest bedroom, claiming that she was not feeling well and wanted to rest, though they all saw the tears sliding down her face when she turned. Emily let a few tears out herself, wiping them away quickly and steadying herself, taking deep breaths.

"Well, I think I'm going to make a cake. Kim, Liv, do you want to--"

"Yes." Kim spoke through her tears, Olivia helping her to stand and nodding as well.

"Yeah, Em, that sounds nice."