"i just... i have to try-"

"you've tried, y/n-"

"i can try harder, he'll tell me-!"

"theo" daphne says, standing up suddenly, "that's it! pansy can get theo-"

"oh my god, no. we are not getting everyone involved-"

"maybe blaise knows" daphne continues, muttering to herself and completely ignoring my protests

"daphne whatever your planning stop it" she continues pacing, not looking over at me, "daphne?"

"i got it" she smiles, turning to face me, "a party"

"no-" i stop myself, looking at her for a second, and pausing, "...a party?"

"a party" she nods, "it's brilliant!"

"i'm not seeing it-"

"picture you and pansy all dressed up- i have a really tight, black-"

"daphne-"

"no, no, no, listen" she says confidently, "it'll be the perfect opportunity! he'll be distracted, probably drunk-"

"i'm not going to interrogate him while drunk-"

"ugh you're impossible" she rolls her eyes

"but a party does sound fun" i add, and her eyes light back up, a mischievous smile spreading across her face.

__________________________

"alright, how do i look?" i spin around to face the girls, wearing the short, black dress daphne's lent me. it's about a week and a half since she came up with the plan, and it's been an awful week and a half.

i think draco's gotten ruder. well, he's always been this rude, but never towards me. every time i see him in class, we're always just bickering with each other, throwing petty insults back and forth. he's in far too many of my classes, even astronomy... which i thought would be an escape. but no, apparently all of my help earned him an outstanding, and when i came down at 23:30 to go to class he was emerging from the boys staircase, all dressed up in his uniform.

"let's get this over with" he muttered, meeting my eyes for a second before stalking out of the common room. he's had similar sentiments the two times we've had patrols together, instantly splitting away from me whenever we came to a fork in the hallways.

but this party, this party is a chance to forget it all, even just for a second. i smooth down the dress one more time, and then regard daphne and pansy. they both smile.

"draco's going to faint when he sees you" pansy gives a nod of approval

"wouldn't be surprised if he professed his love immediately" daphne smirks

i laugh, turning and looking back at myself in the mirror. they had me put the necklace back on, and it's clearly displayed on my chest. i hope at least... some of this gets through to him. that's my goal. i can talk to him like this, he'll listen to me, i can fix things. i don't know. it's a loose plan, but a plan nonetheless. and it was the best we could come up with.