004 - A Beauty? What's That?

Start from the beginning

Ruka's eyes every so slightly widened in surprise and amusement. "Him? A guest?" She asked, with a louder tone than the one she had used before.

"Yes, he is merely a guest. The only reason he's still here is because of the fact my servant saw him seriously injured, so we decided to bring him into the manor." He frowned, "He was injured by a mysterious animal or object, so we're just researching what happened, and then we'll let him go when we're done." Hideaki replied. His eyes had slightly narrowed.

Yamato felt like he didn't need to speak up, so he just stayed silent, watching the two noble's reactions.

Ruka's eyes flared with anger. "Tch! I take back what I said about you growing into a fine man. You simply turned out to be a complete imbecile. Rank or not, we shouldn't treat people as objects of research. You should've learned better, especially after your father's incident!" Ruka argued.

Hearing the words of Ruka triggered a memory that Yamato had.

"The most common capture target, Aito, is a commoner. Just like Mei, the female lead. That makes them able to see each other much more often." Mizuki had explained. Yamato listened intently, slightly intrigued.

"At the beginning of the story, Aito is very well-liked person throughout the commoners' village. Mei is drawn to Aito, and you get the point." Mizuki rolled her eyes, expressing her clear dislike for Aito, "However, when the Emperor saw that Aito not only had a good personality, but he was also popular among the people, the Emperor decided to test Aito on his element." Mizuki said.

"The main elements are wind, fire, earth, water, darkness, and light. There are also side elements, like necromancy, destruction, nature- which is a power descendant of earth, healing, and... probably a lot more. I really can't remember them all." She continued, "All the main elements are equally as rare, and equally as powerful. Your power depends on your ability to maintain control of them." Mizuki said as she wrote down notes onto a spare piece of paper, seemingly to remind her of them if she ever did forget.

Yamato nodded, "Mhm."

"Side elements are quite uncommon, but sometimes the side element doesn't match with the main element, making it useless. If you are able to control an element well, and have a side element that matches with your main element, then you get accepted into Solana Academy, regardless of any of your past deeds or status." Mizuki said once she had finished writing.

Mizuki turned her head away and pointedly coughed into her hand. "But if you're a noble, you get accepted anyway."

"Aito is a person who can control an element well. Not only that, he has a fitting side element too, so he got accepted into Solana Academy. Solana Academy has three separate parts. Solana Academy is the entire academy, the School Of Solana is the building for elementary school students and middle school students. Solana Graduate School is the building for high school students, and Solana University is for those who are university students. Ah, or college students." Mizuki spewed out more useless knowledge about her game, continuing on for what seemed like hours to Yamato.

"...And that's how that damned Aito comes into play as an OP, handsome capture target." Mizuki angrily spat.

Yamato just sighed, shaking his head.

In the present.

Hideaki stayed silent. He didn't object or agree to his mother's opinion on him.

"You know what," She turned over to glance at Yamato, "We're going on to the town square. Come with me this instant." Ruka smiled, directing her sentence at both of the two men, but started pulling on Yamato's wrist and dragging him over to the carriage.

"Mother-" Hideaki began to argue.

"No objections! Follow me. I'm sure you of all people know exactly what will happen if you don't oblige." Ruka smiled more sinisterly, alike to when Yamato had told Hideaki that his name was Akira, her eyes flashed a darker color.

Like mother, like son. Both with quite the controlling personality...

Hideaki merely sighed, silently complying with Ruka's request. In all honesty, it seemed more like an order.

Ruka ended up getting another carriage from who-knows-where, throwing Hideaki and Yamato in there.

Her reason? "My son is much too introverted. Perhaps he will open up to a beauty."

Yamato heaved out a heavy sigh, leaning against the door of the carriage. The young lord Hideaki sat to the far right of the amethyst haired male. His eyes were narrowed as he silently glared out the window.

A feeling of uncomfortableness was shared between the two, before Hideaki spoke up.

"Akira." He turned his head to glare at Yamato this time, and the amethyst haired male looked over. "Are you trying to gain the trust of my mother?" He frowned as he raised his suspicions against Yamato.

"Hm?" Yamato was amused. Who wronged this arrogant young lord so much for him to be so cautious around people?

"I asked you, are you trying to gain the trust of my mother?" Hideaki was starting to run out of patience. No one had ever treated him, a noble, like this before. He felt a little humiliated.

Yamato didn't respond. He wasn't planning anything, anyway. Why would he need to respond?

Hideaki frowned.

Right. I need to answer. Didn't Mizuki say so?

"I'm not planning anything." Yamato said, "You're overthinking." The moment the sound of his voice faded away, he turned his head to lean against the door again.

Hideaki did not reply.

The carriage soon came to a halt, and Yamato unhurriedly opened the carriage door, carefully stepping out.

The game Mizuki and her team designed was a mix of the Medieval era and Victorian era. Only small aspects like knowledge about the world's functions and food stayed the same.

Ruka saw Yamato and Hideaki step out of the carriage, and quickly walked over at this sight. "Now, that we're here, where shall we go first?" She questioned.

Yamato edged a bit further away from Ruka and Hideaki.

"Ah, wait," Ruka scrutinized his clothes, a thoughtful expression on her face. "What boring clothes."

Yamato glanced down at his clothing. What's wrong with it?

"Let's get some new clothes for the guest. He's wearing such commoner clothes, it surely won't do." Ruka smiled, unknowingly unlocking Yamato's worst nightmare.

---

If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider voting. It helps a lot! ╰(*°▽°*)╯

(Side note: In this universe, regardless of status, you cannot call a person by their first name when speaking to them. It makes it seem like you think lowly of them. But, if you are close to the person, you can be specifically told by that person that you can call them on a first-name basis. This is why, even though Hideaki knows Yamato's first name, he doesn't call Yamato by his first name, and vice versa. Usually, only friends and lovers call each other by first-name.)