Chapter thirty-four

Start from the beginning

A smile spread across Killian's lips as he said softly, "Can't wait to see who Renier gets pissed at now. He likes his borders patrolled nice and regular. When he finds out Diego and the boys aren't doing what they're supposed to," He felt his stomach twist sickeningly, but managed to keep his façade, "Somebody's going to pay." 

Sharp laughter bubbled up from Amel's lips as he said, "Aye. Hopefully it's Nora this time, I swear that bitch stole some of my water the other day." Clearing his throat, Killian ran a hand through his curls and then began to head back to camp. Every footstep brought on a new sort of pain. A pain he hadn't felt until he was away from Jasper. He missed his friend, but there was no going back now. 

...  

The fire crackled in front of Killian, it's orange glow spreading across the floor of the camp. They'd moved a bit farther from the town now, on Renier's orders. Killian knew a patrol had tracked Tom's group to make sure they left the town. He silently thanked Jasper for not making them stay an extra day, or for sticking around too long. If they did, then some of them would be laying dead on the pavement. He'd never told Renier's gang about the farmhouse the group had been planning to go to, just to keep them safe.  

Tapping at the empty can in his lap, Killian couldn't help but remember the weeks prior when he and Jasper had first met. Surviving in cans of soup and beans, all tasteless, but overall something to keep their bellies full. That was a good time, having just him and Jasper wandering together. That felt like a lifetime ago now. 

Killian lifted his hand to grasp onto the metal dog tags around his neck. Huddling deeper into Jasper's jacket, he felt a stab of disappointment when he could no longer breathe in Jasper's unique, comforting scent. He remembered when it had smelled like mint, spices, and a pleasant, masculine musk that he couldn't quite describe. He closed his eyes tight, then nearly jumped out of his skin when somebody sat beside him. Dropping the empty can on the ground, he tensed up, only to relax again when he realized it was only Jackson.

The man tilted his head to the side with a small smile, "Hey. You thinking about them again?" Killian swallowed back a lump in his throat and nodded silently, leaning his chin in his hands and shutting his eyes tight. More than anything he wanted to stop thinking about Tom's group. About Dominick. That still hurt. Seeing Dominick laying on the pavement, blood surrounding him. That gunshot would forever echo in his mind, haunting his dreams. Jackson nudged his shoulder, "Come on now, it's really not that bad, is it?" He chuckled, "You told me yourself you hated them and the way they treated you, right?" 

A bitter grin soon followed Jackson's words, and his next statement sent a shudder down Killian's spine. "Maybe not as bad as your father, but still pretty bad, right?" A sickening twist in his stomach whenever Jackson mentioned his father made Killian want to throw up. Nothing about that man brought up any pleasant memories. 

Hiding his dismay and snorting with amusement instead Killian replied, "No, but he doesn't exactly set the standard. Shouldn't, anyways." His voice lowered into a bitter growl as he muttered, "Nobody like that should." 

As his cousin shook his shoulder playfully, Killian let his nose wrinkle into a disgruntled snarl. "Anybody in particular you met that you miss?" Jackson inquired, raising a brow. Killian felt a cold chill cover his whole body as a few glanced from the others were sent his way. He knew what they were all thinking. They were thinking about how close of friends he and Jasper were. That was definitely not a welcome thing here. 

With a smile to hide his fear Killian said, "That redhead sure caught my attention. Was a shame I had to leave her behind," His heart ached, feeling disgusted with himself as he continued to lie, "But other than good looks, girl was a bitch. I don't have time for that, don't want a burden of keeping somebody ungrateful safe."