Chapter 29) Whispered Secrets

KateSeleneMelody3OCs

Eelean's POV:

I didn't mean to read anyone's thoughts then. They just kind of... shouted at me.

'We're out! Don't worry, Elena, Brendan, Olivia, I'm coming! Those psychopaths won't hurt you, I promise!'

I gasped, and Kate looked at me, concern in her blue eyes.

"Eelean? Is everything alright?" She asked. 'But don't say it aloud. No one good is listening.' she added telepathically.

'Christian's escaped," I thought, and a silly grin covered Kate's face.

'Finally some good news.' She replied. 'I'll come up with a way to inform Elena. But what about Dani and Shellington?'

'I'll ask Tunip.'

I turned to my boyfriend and asked him, in Vegimalese, "Any sign of Shellington?"

He didn't answer at first, but the pained look on his face told me more that a 'no' would have.

Not knowing what else to do, I gave him a hug. "We'll find him, Tunip. And until we do, I'll be right here, just like you were for me." I whispered.

He smiled at that, but there was still pain in his eyes. "You're too good to me, Eelean." He murmured.

Peso interrupted then. "We might have a bit of a problem..."

I looked up and saw what he meant.

There was one more flight of stairs until we would have reached the top. The problem was, there were no stairs. There was a large gap, with no way across.

Suddenly Tunip shouted in broken English. "Run! There is a creaking!"

Instinctively, Kate swooped both of us into her arms, as the creaking sound turned into a cracking. We ran into the third floor corridor just as the stairs we had been on crumbled away and fell.

All of us panting heavily from the shock, we stared at the mess that could have been our demise.

"That... was too... too close..." Peso breathed. "I don't mean to be a downer, but... how will we get to our crew now?"

isobeljones2000

Peso's POV: Kate shook herself off, fragments of dusty rubble in her disheveled silver fur. Almost without thinking I reached out a flipper and tenderly brushed away a piece of slate-grey wallpaper that clung to the side of her face from where the stairway had used to exist. I didn't say anything, but I felt her flinch under my touch. Judging by her reactions and the fact she had been dry-heaving into my arms just a minute before... something definitely wasn't right. I was just relieved it didn't seem to be the fever, but I couldn't lose her again. I had to figure it out.

Kate coughed awkwardly and turned away, gently lowering both quivering Vegimals to the ground. "This section isn't on the map," she said after a moment of silent appraisal in her mind's eye. "I don't know another way to the roof."

"We're close," Eelean said in English for my benefit, I felt sure that she and Kate were perfectly happy conversing together in their heads. "There was only one floor to go before we made it to the top, so we just need to find another set of stairs, or -" both she and Kate shuddered simultaneously. "A lift of some kind," she completed.

"I guess we'd better go, then," I said unwillingly, looking longingly back at the landslide that could have been our one way to find the others. "I don't know whether that was a villain trap or just the result of this being a really old building, but we need to move."